New here!

iVillage Member
New here!
Sun, 11-30-2008 - 4:18pm

I've been looking around this message board for a while but have only just gotten up the courage to post here.

I'm Jackie and I'm 21 years old. I've been wrestling with my self esteem issues since I was a little girl but have always managed to have a brave face about it. Although a bit of a loner, I've always had friends and people to depend on. I feel like I'm a loner because I don't trust a lot of people. Most people compliment me on a day to day basis because "I have a great, bubbly personality". I feel like I'm always overcompensating because I always feel like crying. I don't really like the person I am. I have terrible body image, can't seem to have a decent relationship with the opposite sex, and would rather be by myself than worry about what a I look like for other people. I get this constant, agonizing feeling that people are constantly judging. Sometimes it's a little hard to breath.

Beyond being a person that other people love, I want to love myself. I want to go to sleep at night knowing that I did all I can to be the best person I can be. I want to stop taking care of everyone else and start doing things that will better me for a change. I want to be healthy and strong (physically and mentally). I REALLY don't want to care what people think anymore.

Anyway, beyond this board I plan on starting group and individual therapy sessions. It's hard to admit you need help and can't handle it all alone but I'm ready to concede a little. Hopefully this board will help and I'm really looking forward to getting to know all of you. :-)

iVillage Member
In reply to: jackeev75
Sun, 11-30-2008 - 9:17pm
You are on the right track> My compliments for deciding to get some individual and group therapy!!! So many of us want to help however, are not qualified and it sometimes takes a professional. It appears to me that you are very smart and have many good attributes. In time, you will see how special you are with all the gifts posess. Some of the feelings you have could be just reforming how you think about things and becoming more happy with who you are. God Bless and I offer you the highest level of encouragement!!
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-01-2008 - 11:44am

Hello, and welcome to the board.

I think you have some great goals. I think accepting and liking ourselves is very important. To me, if I don't like what I am doing or who I am, how can I stand up for myself and be happy or proud? I try very hard to work on these things, though sometimes it's more difficult.

I believe therpy is usually benifical, so I hope it works well for you, and you find someone you really like who also helps you. It is really hard to admit we can't do things on our own, and I don't really know why. Maybe society, maybe upbringing... who knows?

I am looking forwards to getting to know you as well. I hope you jump into the other threads on this board. We have random questions, self esteem questions, books, articles, and then several threads for asking for advice or just to have someone listen. Feel free to post your own discussions as well.

~ Rain   

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-02-2008 - 9:59am

Welcome to the board jackeev75.

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-02-2008 - 10:11am

Hello gentlejohn1.

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-03-2008 - 10:54am