Company Christmas Party

iVillage Member
Company Christmas Party
Fri, 12-05-2008 - 9:05pm

Hi all,

I've posted here before but it's been a while...

I have a little dilemma, and I feel a little pathetic about it! I started working at a hospital at the end of July of this year. I worked in a department where all the girls ate together so I just ate with them and never bothered trying out the cafeteria. It was only a one month replacement so then I was placed in another department where there are only 3 other people. They would usually just leave at lunch and eat in the cafeteria and never invited me. I usually ate alone in the conference room or at my desk and my boss recently started eating with me on occasion. Long story short, I don't know that many people where I work. I see a few different people from time to time and I talk to them but I have always found it difficult to go from mere acquaintance to an actual friend since I am a rather shy person. I will talk and make conversation but since I work virtually alone, I haven't met that many people, or I should say, it's never gone beyond a hello, how are you?

So now, here we are at Christmas time and my Christmas party is this coming Thursday. I am transferring yet again on Monday, this time into Administration to try out a job they have offered me. Once again, I will be with a whole new gang and on my own. I have sort of see-sawed about going to the party where I won't really have a safety person, if you know what I mean (someone I can turn to if I really don't know anyone else). My boss has already said she is not going, neither are my 2 soon-to-be former co-workers. At least I would have been comfortable to sit with them. But I don't really have anyone.

My friend said I should just go, otherwise how will I ever get to know anyone. But it just feels intimidating to go to this party where I feel like I should already know someone but don't. Whenever I do something like this on my own, I usually just adopt the attitude to just smile and be friendly. I think for me, the dilemma exists in the fact that people will wonder why I don't know more people than I do. Will they find me stand-offish? And since I have no idea who is going to this thing, I worry that there won't be a soul there that I know. Everyone seems to be pretty friendly with the others in their departments, but I don't have that.

Any thoughts or suggestions??

Selanas

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-06-2008 - 4:23pm

Hello. :-)

I think your friends have good advice. You can certainly go, and say hi to the people you worked with before. If there's no one you know, you could look for someone you've seen around and pull the "Hello, I've seen you around the departments, I'm ______." And see what they respond, and ask them what they do, how they are doing, etc...

~ Rain   

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-07-2008 - 9:51am

I would ask myself, is this something I would want to attend if I did have a safe person?

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-18-2008 - 9:35am

Hi there,

Just wanted to let you all know that I did go to my company Christmas party.

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-18-2008 - 2:21pm

Yea!!!

How wonderful!!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-19-2008 - 7:06am

That's wonderful.

I'm glad you had a good time and that it worked out. :-)

~ Rain
~ Rain