Take a chance at work?

iVillage Member
Take a chance at work?
Thu, 12-11-2008 - 9:52pm

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-12-2008 - 12:53am

This is a very hard question because only you really know the answer.

~ Rain   

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-12-2008 - 9:56pm

Most days, yes, I do feel pulled to do it, but not when the board is micro-managing me.

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-13-2008 - 9:39am

It certainly reads as though you have weighed all the pros and cons of the job.

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-13-2008 - 10:16pm

Something I did notice in your second post; you mentioned that you are getting paid minimum wage, yet you are able/capable/have the ability to write grants?

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-14-2008 - 11:59am

Ok this isn't the same thing, but my father is a pastor. In a church like the one he has,

~ Rain   

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-14-2008 - 11:09pm

Thanks for the input, Rain!

You're right, it IS the board that's causing most of my reservations

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-15-2008 - 12:06am

Once again, I'm going to steal from my father's experience and say if you take the job, it's better to butt heads from time to time, than be pushed over. His first church a man spent 3,000 dollars on trees to plant in the yard - he had been doing decisions like that for the old pastor and he often did them without going to anyone first. My father made a point to tell him because he didn't go through the right channels the trees could not be planted and he was not going to be reimbursed. They butted heads a few other times than that - but it's important to make sure that people do things right so that it's fair for everyone else. It's always the more dominate and 'forceful' personalities that butt heads with people, mainly because they are also the ones speaking up. I would do my best to set myself apart from the old director, saying now that I actually have the job, these are the things - and review some sort of board conduct code, blah, stating that it's good to go through it since there has a been a change. That way when people do act out of hand, even if it's painful to deal with them, you can always go and say, You know, this is something we touched upon here. and this was how we decided as a group to go through it... and while I hear your point, this is my job and if we'd like to make these changes, we should go through these things first - because blah-blah point and reason. Of course, (from my father's experience as well) they don't always listen. At least you aren't telling them they can push you around every time, and you also aren't helping to give anymore fuel to their fire. lol. People are certainlly interesting. lol

Having random pieces of information on conducts, agruements, and workshops for all staff about listening, consutmer - proposed as something fun, or something that might give them ideas - is often more helpful for getting them to work together better than it is, just fun. lol. My dad also used this tactic as well - so did my old daycare boss on the parents. Of course you can't tell them the reason it's being proposed is because people aren't playing together in the staff/groups - cause then they find it insulting, even if it's true. However, usually when people hit sensitive topics, they love the my way or the highway deal, and life just doesn't work like that. Sooner or later, someone needs to stand up and say, sorry to burst your bubble, but no. And then sadly, they will still rant and rave - but that's why pastors have support groups (sadly, lol), and people have friends. :-) For their rants and raves don't always last forever.... though sometimes, they might drive a person to quit. I've seen it happen at my old work between a daycare person and a parent.

It also helps to justify their actions, even if they are mean. For example, daycare parents. They care about their kids. They know their kids best (or so they like to think, lol), They want things to be just right for their children, they don't want to be responsible for picking the wrong daycare, they are having a bad day already, and it's easier to be someone else's fault. - So it's nothing personal really, it's just a combo of things. But with that said, it's still not cool the way we like to treat each other sometime, and while the person in charge can help do the greatest good - they often don't get enough credit (because they have to give it to those below) and then they usually end up the one blamed for problems, sadly.

So, it's really, really, really up to you and what you think you can or can't handle. (not on fear of, but ability.)

Hope this helps your decision. :-) Good luck (again)

~ Rain
~ Rain   

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-15-2008 - 10:48am

The board that I was on, was over a non-profit organization.

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-15-2008 - 1:23pm

>>> Sometimes, the board can make or break an organization. <<<

This is so true.

~ Rain   

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-15-2008 - 7:53pm

Pages