iVillage Member
How Do You Do It?
Thu, 03-26-2009 - 10:58am
How do you relieve stress?

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: n2ishn
Thu, 03-26-2009 - 11:05am

Although eating in front of the television while “zoning out” seems to be one of my “bad” ways to handle stress, I do have some more healthy suggestions.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-26-2009 - 11:18am

Eating and zoning to the television are also my bad ways of releiving stress!

I will sometimes do some sort of physical activity so that I can get my mind on the motion of my body vs the thoughts in my head. If that doesn't work, I also will talk it out or write it out if it's stress because of drama or emotions. I have those "stress reliever balls" that you are supposed to spin around in your hand, those are nice cause they make noise while I do the motion which is two things for me to notice besides what is weighing me down. Else I meditate and just tell myself it will work out; don't worry and calm down. :-)

~ Rain
~ Rain   

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-26-2009 - 11:40am
Stress reliever balls.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-27-2009 - 8:11am
laughing! my coworkers are really funny. i also like watching comedies, so when i'm feeling stressed or down i watch a funny movie.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-27-2009 - 8:16am
Yep, the stress reliever balls are the silver ones were two balls should fit in one hand. I have small hands though so they barely fit! lol, it's taking me alot of practice to spin them around quickly. I like the squeezing balls as well, however usually that increases my aggression for awhile just because of the motion - unless of course it's the doll thing that has eyes that pop out when you squeeze it. That always makes me laugh, which is nearly instant stress/anger relief.
~ Rain
~ Rain   

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-27-2009 - 11:44am
I vent to DH. I used to be under a lot of stress when I was working and when he picked me up I'd let him know that I was stressed. We often would not go straight home. Instead, he'd just keep driving and listen to me vent about what had gone wrong. I also will vent to my best friend. I'll send her a message on Facebook and let her know that I was sending her a long e-mail. I normally do not vent here on iVillage or on other forums. I got burned too many times from that and I don't do that anymore, unless I know that it's a safe place to vent.

Another thing I do to de-stress is something that DH taught me: I put in a computer game like "Diablo II" and kill monsters, pretending they are whomever or whatever has stressed me out. I've found that I have to be in an active situation to de-stress, so reading or watching a movie doesn't help, because those activities don't focus my mind enough. It can drift too easily when I read or watch a movie.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-27-2009 - 6:22pm
What a terrific idea happy pants.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-27-2009 - 6:27pm
LOL...aren't those balls funny.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-27-2009 - 6:46pm

Funny that computer games release stress

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-28-2009 - 1:03am
When I play a computer game to relieve stress I won't take my character in to a boss fight, where chances are she could get killed. I will go into an area that I've already gone and kill the little monsters, the ones that won't give me too much trouble. That way I reduce the chances of my character dying, which keeps me from getting more stressed, if that makes any sense!

Since I can belly dance with fibromyalgia, you should be able to belly dance with arthritis. I would suggest that you try tribal dancing, since cabaret style is a lot faster. Tribal is a slower form of dance; it's the type that I do and it doesn't increase my pain. There are DVDs on tribal dance as well as cabaret and other styles of belly dance. What I like about the dance is that it is the perfect dance for the female form. Any woman, no matter her size or age, can learn to belly dance.

While I am a Pagan, I'm not a Wiccan. I used to be one for a long time. I changed my path and I'm now what is known as a Celtic Reconstructionist, which means that I follow the Celtic deities and try to honor them in as close as my ancestors did as possible (minus the headhunting, warfare and human and animal sacrifice). I'm also studying Druidry, which a lot of times goes hand in hand with CR.

Pages