The unhappiness of others

Administrator
The unhappiness of others
Wed, 05-13-2009 - 8:24am

It seems as though one of the most common things people will hear when they are unhappy with themselves is "Be thankful that's all you have to deal with because there are other people far worse off". Does the thought of someone else suffering something ever really make you feel better? Do you ever think of someone and say to yourself "Yes, they're right, I could be like so and so" and suddenly things look up for you? Does thinking of other people's problems even make a difference in your life?

shape-upchallenge.gif picture by HealthAccountCelebrate Women's Health Week May 10-16!

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-13-2009 - 8:40am
It can, if I'm able to help them in some way

~Jackie

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-13-2009 - 10:40am

I'm going to have to cut and past here...lol.

It seems as though one of the most common things people will hear when they are unhappy with themselves is "Be thankful that's all you have to deal with because there are other people far worse off". Does the thought of someone else suffering something ever really make you feel better?

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-13-2009 - 1:41pm

It doesn't really help me feel better.

Sometimes, I even feel worse because I start feeling bad for those "Others" --- I suppose it does take my mind off my own troubles but not in a feel-good way!

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

April is National Decorating Month
In these economically challenged times, do you think we need a Repair Manifesto?

CL for "

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-13-2009 - 3:14pm
Well, not really.

Molly

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-13-2009 - 4:30pm

Absolutely!

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-14-2009 - 12:48am
Does the thought of someone else suffering something ever really make you feel better?

No.

Do you ever think of someone and say to yourself "Yes, they're right, I could be like so and so" and suddenly things look up for you? Does thinking of other people's problems even make a difference in your life?

No. It reminds me of the good things in my life and helps me see my life in perspective. So many people don't get help because they feel that compared to what other people are going through, they've had it easy and they should be able to figure it out by themselves or time will heal or that they don't deserve to get help because it's not as bad as what someone else went through or because they don't want to take up the time and space that might be used by someone else. Everyone deserves to be listened to to heard, and everyone deserves to be helped.