Tired of not having friends

iVillage Member
Tired of not having friends
Wed, 07-08-2009 - 12:34pm
I am a nice (a little shy) very attractive person and don't understand why I can't have any decent friends.Its not just me,my husband seems to have the same problem in the area we live in.We just don't have any couples to hang out with and we also don't have kids which makes it difficult also.I feel like I'm only good for being taken advantage of,otherwise people don't bother.I have a facebook but everyone on there is 50 miles away or more nad some are just "friend collectors".I have made efforts to try to get together with one friend weeks ago but she never responded(at she could have done that) but then makes a post on her page about how shes going to see her oldest friend this week and I know I shouldn't let it get to me and its only because if I had any local friends,it wouldn't bother me so much.I go out with co-workers occasionally after work for a drink but I'm not into getting drunk,especially since I am taking lexapro and just started 10mg this week so maybe that will help me.Maybe it just gets harder as we get older(I'm 36).Anyway thanks for listening!!!!
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-08-2009 - 10:46pm

Welcome to the self-esteem board suzi1942.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-08-2009 - 11:47pm
Thank you for your reply.The biggest disadvantage I have which I failed to mention is that I also am a bartender which involves working nights and weekends.I give up a lot because of it and want to get out of the business for that reason alone.I love it but it is a lot of sacrifice.
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-09-2009 - 9:45am

Indeed.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-09-2009 - 10:23am
Well that would be one reason but the other is as we get older it is harder to do.I'm 36 but would like to have another skill by the time I'm 40 plus the other thing that scares me is if I were to get hurt on the job and because I work for tips,I wouldn't get much compensation.Anyway i have been meaning to contact my local college to see if there are any aptitude tests which I never did in high school to see what I may be good at.
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-09-2009 - 10:29pm
Very good points.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-10-2009 - 10:08am

sometimes when i am down on myself for not having friends that means that something else is missing. usually i'm feeling stuck or bored and it's time to try something new, like take a new class or learn a new skill or something like that. i'm introverted by nature and