having trouble connecting w/ people

iVillage Member
having trouble connecting w/ people
Mon, 07-13-2009 - 2:44pm

Hi Everyone,

My problem is similar to some others here. I seem to have trouble finding/making friends. The few friends that I have live far enough away that I don't see them often. I have a few friends around here but it's hard to get together with them often because they have babies/toddlers at home and can't just drop everything to go out. Maybe it has to do with the age group I'm in (single in my early thirties). I don't really connect with the early twenties go-out-and-party crowd anymore. Most of the people my age are married with children. The only "Single Adult" social group in my area is for people 40+ and I'm not in that category. I'm not social enough to to go to events alone and I don't know a lot of people to go with. Some people I have tried to connect with weren't that interested in getting together so I feel rejected. I know that on one level that I need to just get over this and put myself out there more but when you've reached out and people don't respond it just makes you not try anymore. Sometimes when I'm having a bad day I'm just really down about this and need to vent. Is anyone else in the same boat?

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-13-2009 - 5:47pm

Hi juligirl, welcome to the board.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-16-2009 - 6:23pm
I can relate. It is hard for me to connect with others as well. I have always been shy and it takes me a long time to open up to people. I've never really had a best friend. Sometimes I get lonely because I would love to just have a really close female friend who I can chat with over coffee or tea and not be worried about being judged. I am trying to force myself to make phone calls to people. The other day I was having a stressful day and I must have made like 10 calls. Just reaching out and not isolating myself really helped to lift my spirits.