Optimist or Pessimist?

Administrator
Optimist or Pessimist?
Mon, 08-03-2009 - 8:38am

Are you and Optimist or Pessimist? How does one become one or the other-is it something inborn or something learned?

Have you read this?Cheer Up, You'll Live Longer

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-03-2009 - 10:54pm

I do tend to see the pessimistic aspects of things more than the optimistic ones. I think I have always been that way...

I guess I have shortened my life span as I do beleive that being optimistic (within reason) will keep you healthier!

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

In these economically challenged times, do you think we need a Repair Manifesto?

CL for "

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-04-2009 - 10:06pm

Aren't we all a little of both? I know I'm optimistic about some things and pessimistic about others. When I was going through a difficult depressive period a few years ago, I was a true pessimist. Which stands to reason... For the most part, though, I'm an optimist.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-04-2009 - 10:12pm
Very much an optimist.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-05-2009 - 4:25am

I tend to slog on stubbornly, neither an optimist or a pessimist. When someone is ill, I tend to be the one who stops the pessimism and get everyone to focus on getting better.

Perhaps a friend of mine said it best a few years ago: I always believe that things will change and come out fine at the end of the day, and in the meantime I remain calm. Mind you, he has had to calm me numeroud and I was that close to punching him when he would say "It'll be alright" for the thousandth time, but once I am out of the rut it's easier to find the balance ;-)

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-07-2009 - 6:23pm

I would say I am definitely a glass is half full kind of girl. Then again, as time goes on I'm getting a little bit jaded with life and the pessimist in me is rearing her ugly head. It doesn't help that I'm married to one, and he tends to rub off on me sometimes.

~

> >
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-11-2009 - 7:13am
I am melancholic-sanguine. So, I fall into both. I'm not really interesting in having a long life. Quality is more important than quantity. Besides, I don't see myself living to old age. Some of us burn out more quickly.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-11-2009 - 9:26am
defensive pessimist. i expect the best but plan for the worst. i like to have all my bases covered :) it also keeps me from getting too anxious!