Don't know why I quit volunteering.

iVillage Member
Don't know why I quit volunteering.
Mon, 09-21-2009 - 11:41pm
I moved halfway across the country about 5 months ago to be with my fiance. I only know his friends and their wives and even though we have hung out a few times as couples, the girls aren't someone that I would really click with if it was just the girls. I work from home and wanted to get out and do things. About a month after I moved here, I decided to volunteer at a wildlife center. I started in June and the shift I as on only goes until the end of September. I enjoyed everything about it-the animals, the people, but after 2 months I was finding myself not wanting to go anymore. 2 weeks ago I called in saying I was sick and couldn't make it and then last week emailed them saying I broke my wrist and wouldn't be able to finish my volunteering there. I also joined these Meetup groups online where people with certain hobbies get together. I joined like a tennis one, a happy hour one, a new-to-town one to get out and meet people. That was over a month ago and I now have no desire to actually go to any of them. I am shy and I am afraid people are going to see me in a weird light. Here I am trying to meet people but yet I feel like everyone looks at me like I'm a total weirdo because I'm quiet. I would love to meet just one person who I really click with to hang out with. I see it happen with people all the time when they move to a new city they find a small circle of friends. I feel like every new person I meet might like me the first time but then the next time or two they realize that I really am quiet and that is weird to them.
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-22-2009 - 8:51am
welcome to the board! i think quiet people are the most interesting :) i also think it takes a lot of guts to join meetup groups. just remember that everyone