Am I weird?

iVillage Member
Am I weird?
Thu, 10-22-2009 - 7:00pm
My whole I feel left out of many things. I never get asked to be apart of certain things and friends and family leave me out of a lot of stuff. I have never been in wedding parties and most of my relatives go to concerts and sports games and never invite me. I have always wanted to be in a wedding party at least once. A lot of people think I'm weird for wanting to be in one. I sometimes feel like I'm not good enough for anything. I feel that my family, relatives and friends don't care a lot about me.
iVillage Member
In reply to: glassrose106
Thu, 10-22-2009 - 8:50pm

Perhaps they don't think you're interested.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-22-2009 - 9:30pm
I try my best to be in conversations but my relatives tend to speak over me and ignore me. I'm 24 but I look younger than my age. Often times people don't take me serious because of that. I have always been a bit socially awkward.I do express my interests in things but it seems my friends and relatives never take that into consideration. Some of my relatives tend to favor relatives on their mom or dad's sides. Three of my paternal cousins live in the same area as me but they favor their cousins from their mom's side more. They always invite those cousins to the movies and sports games.
Thank you for the warm welcome.
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-23-2009 - 1:20am
hey, have you tried saying jokingly "yo guys, what am I chopped liver?" and see what response you get. the response just may surprise you , perhaps some of them think that you were just not interested in attending those events or they may have simply forgot to invite you
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-24-2009 - 3:52pm
I'm sometimes think about speaking up but the reasons I don't is because I don't want to sound needy or whiny.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-25-2009 - 10:13am
welcome to the board, glassrose. everyone has given you some great advice so far so i'm not sure what else i can add. but what's more important to you: (a) not speaking up for fear of sounding needy/whiny, therefore possibly being excluded or (b) speaking up at the risk of sounding needy/whiny, but being included? it really is up to you. i am very shy and don't always speak up for myself, and am sometimes excluded because other people thought i wasn't interested....but when i do speak up, it is the best feeling in the world and is worth the risk of sounding needy or whiny. the more i speak up for myself, the more confident i get, and that fear of seeming needy starts to fade away. no one can read my mind and