I can be envious

iVillage Member
I can be envious
Mon, 11-23-2009 - 4:42pm

Hi all

I'm not sure if I'm posting this on the correct board, but here it goes...

I, somewhat often, feel envious of other people for various reasons. One of the top reasons has to do with family. Around the holidays I feel pretty glum b/c a lot of people I know spend time with extended family members and have a good time with their family. My family consists of Mom and Dad, and that's it. I am an only child, and I am not close to my extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins). I get along great with Mom and Dad, but the holidays, especially Christmas, seem so incredibly boring. I actually can't wait for it to be over. I am living at home with Mom and Dad so it's not like I don't spend time with them... I see them mostly every day and spend time with them during dinner some days out of the week, and I guess on average we spend one night/week together just laughing and talking about everything in general.

Now that's one thing...another thing is that if I were given the opportunity to spend time with...for example...my boyfriend's family (big family)...I would feel insecure. I think that is due to me not being used to spending time with a large group of people. When I was younger, and growing up...my parents and I would spend time with our extended family, but I would be so incredibly bored b/c they were all adults, much older than me, and we had nothing in common. Now I feel like I can't even relate to people my own age.

I have very few friends, my boyfriend is great but he is much older than I am, and I just feel like I'm stuck. I have tried to get out there and join clubs, volunteer, etc...but it's just one disappointment after another.

iVillage Member
In reply to: shark447
Tue, 11-24-2009 - 10:13am

hey, shark, welcome to the board. i'd say you're in the right place because envy is a pretty