self image can hold you back

iVillage Member
self image can hold you back
Thu, 12-03-2009 - 6:29pm

Lately I've been thinking about how much my self image has effected my life and it upsets me. There are so many things that I missed out on because I felt I was too ugly, fat or stupid to do.

Here's an example even though it's silly. Growing up I was always interested in gymnastics and tumbling. I wanted to be on my middle school and high school cheering team because they did competition style cheering. I always went to the initial tryouts. I was told that I was good enough to be on the team I just needed to do a single cheer in front of the whole team and coach. That was the process for every girl during tryout. I was convinced that I was too fat and everyone would make fun of me that I never did it. Every year I would go to the tryouts but never complete it.

Now I'm 28 yo and I really regret it. That's just one of the many examples my self image and self esteem held me back. The more I think about it the more upset I get.

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-04-2009 - 10:18am

instead of getting upset about the past, which you can't change, why not flip it around and use it as fuel to do things that you've always wanted to do now? you don't want to be 45 with an even longer list of regrets, do you?

yes, self-image can hold you back, so you have to figure out where the negative thoughts are coming from and eliminate the source. (e.g., if watching TV makes you feel bad because you compare yourself to celebrities, then turn off the TV.) sometimes that can be tough, but it's seriously for your own well-being.