My need to impress: Facebook, Twitter...

iVillage Member
My need to impress: Facebook, Twitter...
Tue, 12-15-2009 - 2:23pm

This must be a sign of abnormal self-esteem, don't you think? I've been thinking of opening a Facebook/Twitter account just so I can post photos from my international travels and to inform others of the fabulous things I do (when I do them). The only reason I don't have an account with the social networking websites yet because I hear so much about how addictive they are and most importantly, I'm afraid with my low self-esteem I would be setting myself up for even bigger disappointment if and when someone rejects me on there (have heard those stories as well). Actually, I always thought those websites were exhibiting such lack of privacy but recently I've been realizing that I am the only only who does not have a Facebook/Twitter account. So I must be missing out on something, no?

I thought about why I would participate in the networking sites and I realized that it would only be out of shear need to impress others. Kind of like, look at me, I do all these fun things, I am so well read, traveled, etc. Another way to gain someone's approval and appreciation. Wanting to let others know that I am really a person with interesting interests and adventures.

I wonder what your opinion is of why I have this need in me. Is it healthy narcissism, as my therapist would describe it or just another symptom of unhealthy self esteem?

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-15-2009 - 8:41pm
OMG I am so glad you are bringing this topic to light. I have an account and I have to say yes it is addicting. I also have to say that it has lowered my self esteem. You compare alot to others on their successes, appearance etc. although it is not healthy for me i still have it. I have to realize that people always put the best pics up of themselves and what you see is not always the truth but yet I may know this I still compare myself. It is even worst when you have the object of your affection on there and they have beautiful woman on their friends list. UGH! These girls are so beautiful and makes me feel worst.
Time heals all wounds, unless you pick at them. --Shawn Alexander
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-16-2009 - 12:10pm

I think everyone needs validation.

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-16-2009 - 12:15pm

Very true i_believe.

Why would I want to put horrible pictures or talk about events that do not flatter my talents, in public?

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-17-2009 - 11:32am
i have a facebook account, too, and it's totally addictive. i don't think it's unhealthy self-esteem; i think, like n2 said, it depends on what you use it for. i use it mainly to keep in touch with my sibs and step-sibs and fellow sports fans; some of my younger cousins have friended me and i don't really
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-17-2009 - 7:40pm
Hey happy...maybe we should do a poll?
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-19-2009 - 11:45am
cool, sounds good!