self help ideas?

iVillage Member
self help ideas?
Sun, 12-20-2009 - 10:10pm

I was wondering what type of self help steps you take to make yourself feel better. I'd like to work on changing my negative thoughts. I was thinking of maybe start writing down how I feel and all my negative thoughts.

My fiance has suggested doing something creative. I don't think I'm a creative or a artsy type of person but he says I am. He thinks I should do something like pottery or make something and maybe it will help distract my negative thoughts. He says the only reason I don't allow myself to do creative things is because if it doesn't come out perfect I'll beat myself up and say I'm a failure. It's sad but true so I'm trying to change that.

I'm hoping maybe someone has good ideas.

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-21-2009 - 8:15am

maybe you could start by asking yourself why you have to do things perfectly. if you tried your best, does that make you a failure? nobody gets it the first time and that's exactly why you shouldn't give up. i agree with your fiance that something like pottery is a good distraction (and it's really fun!) but you have to figure out what you're distracting yourself from and deal with that first.

how are you doing on your therapist search?

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-21-2009 - 9:14am
i just posted some tips in the "news & wellness" folder, below.
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-21-2009 - 9:16am

Here is what I did.

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-21-2009 - 11:17am

Thank you both for the links. That had very good ideas. I actually printed them out so I can refer back to them a lot.

As for therapy, I'm actually going to try to work on things myself. I'll admit I'm a little nervous about therapy. I'm not sure I can open up to someone I don't know. I'd like to try to see if I can help a little. If not then I'd like to find a therapist.