therapy exercises with boyfriend?

iVillage Member
therapy exercises with boyfriend?
Mon, 01-18-2010 - 5:53pm
I've thought about going to therapy for my low self esteem but I'd like to see what I can do myself. I'm wondering for those that are trying some self-help, do you ever work with a friend or your significant other? I've thought of asking my boyfriend, who I live with, if he can help me work on it. Are there any type of activities I could do with him? For example doing some kind of writing activity together. Make him write down things he feels I do because of my low self esteem.
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-19-2010 - 10:02am

getting feedback from your bf is a good idea. n2ishn was working on a self-esteem project last month, and one of the exercises was about appreciation; maybe it would help you, too:

Appreciation exercise.
At the top of a sheet of paper write "I like _____ (your name) because:" Have friends, acquaintances, family members, etc., write an appreciative statement about you on it. When you read it, don't deny it OR don't argue with what has been written, just accept it! Read this paper over and over. Keep it in a place where you will see it often.