Friends?

iVillage Member
Friends?
Wed, 02-10-2010 - 11:18am
how would you describe the perfect friend?
iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_happy_pants
Wed, 02-10-2010 - 11:06pm

Me! Kind of kidding but I am also half serious.

I always invest time in new friendships: I call at least once a week to check in, I invite them to lunch, buy coffee, always ask if they need help with kids, dogs, chores, etc. I try to be helpful in hope they will notice and appreciate it. I think I am also generous with my money, I buy friends birthday/holiday/just because gifts and I can't say that anyone I'm close to is that generous because I rarely get the same from them. I think many people I know are cheap, or frugal, whatever you call it.

I am good listener.

Unfortunately, many friends I've met over the years, sort of decide to disappear on me once they get married, have babies, move away or just become busy. Of course, having low self-esteem, I would like to think it's actually me.

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-11-2010 - 11:10am
I believe the perfect friend is always honest with you even if you won't like what they say. They are there for you when you need them whether it's 3pm or 3am. I'm from West Virginia and was working about 8 hrs away from home when I quit my job. I then found out that they only paid for you to get home if they fired you, so I had to find my own way home. I called my best friend and in less than an hr she was on her way to get me. She didn't ask for me to pay her back any of the gas money which was close to $200 there and back, she considered us even because I had paid for her first trip to the ocean the year before. They accept you as you are, flaws and all.
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-15-2010 - 12:33pm

Somebody who I feel comfortable with & can him/her anything without worry I'll be judge. But it takes more than that & I'm not sure what.

I have a friend who I know does not judge me and has seen me at my very worst, yet she is not the person I'd call at 3am. Not sure why or how to make it possible? We've been friends now for nearly 6 years & it's still 'let's get the kids together' type of relationship. Even though she was a major support during the worst time in my life.

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng