self-talk in plural ?

iVillage Member
self-talk in plural ?
Mon, 02-15-2010 - 12:20pm

Once I realized I do not suffer from depression, but rather a low self-esteem I started to see myself differently.

This is when I noticed my self-talk tends to be in first person plural. I don't know if I do this as a way to detach myself from responsibility or what?

Some examples:

Instead of saying, "I know what I can do."
I say, "I know what we can do."

--

Instead of saying, "I should clean the bathrooms today."
I say, "We should clean the bathrooms today."

--

I've tried to look this up online and do not see anything about it, except in reference to a book about dissociative identity. Which just freaks me out. In high school I wondered if I could have this after learning about it b/c I had completely blocked out my 2nd grade year & realized I had in my 3rd grade year. Anything & everything I've done has not been able to trigger memories from that time. I've had other times which are blurry, but I don't think I've ever had any other total block out (except my first kiss w/the man who is now my H).

Does anybody else do this? Should I be concerned?

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-16-2010 - 8:59am
hey, firstglimpse, welcome to the board. i think you are probably just detaching yourself from responsibility, like you said, or it's something you picked up from someone else (a parent, maybe?). it doesn't sound like a big deal
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-18-2010 - 2:57am

I've just finished reading a great book (for the second time), and I'd like to share it with everyone.

"Jeffrey Gitomer's Little Gold Book of YES! Attitude"

Really practical and good stuff.

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-27-2010 - 8:23pm

I know what you're talking about.