Hi - newbie

iVillage Member
Hi - newbie
Mon, 02-22-2010 - 1:07pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Ivillage again...I was a member back in 1998 when Ivillage was a lot different...still had email accounts, etc.

God, grant me the Senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones that I do, and the eyesight to tell the differe

iVillage Member
In reply to: lemontessour
Tue, 02-23-2010 - 2:21am
I was unemployed for about a year, and it was so difficult. You think you will have all this time to caught up with things, but in reality you spend a lot of time applying for jobs and then the anxiety you have about whether or not you will get a job and what will happen if you don't just sucks the energy and will right out of you. Super difficult. YOu have to do planned things to keep your self-esteem up. Tell yourself the problem is the system, not you. Think in terms of job skills and not necessarily job titles. Spoil yourself as much as you can so you feel wonderful. And try not to feel hopeless. Just remember you never know what's around the corner! You never know! The very most important thing in your life may be coming your way soon. It sounds dumb, but in my life I've learned it can be true. What has happened in the past has no bearing on what is going to happen in the future. So keep your eyes open to new things and your heart open to new experiences so you will be ready when that wonderful new thing comes.
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-23-2010 - 9:05am

Lookin4truth, thanks for your message.

God, grant me the Senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones that I do, and the eyesight to tell the differe

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 2:10pm

hey, lemon, welcome to the board. i'm sorry that you lost your job and i can understand from personal experience how that would affect your self-esteem. are you doing any temp work, or any type of work, right now? your administrative experience would be a blessing to most companies; i did some temping a few years ago and it seemed like most employers were looking for people with admin experience. but, yes, your skill set is more important than the job title, because lots of seemingly unrelated jobs actually require the same set of skills. so, maybe give it some thought next time you are journaling :) i agree that you should spoil yourself as much as possible right now because 1) you deserve it and 2) it helps you feel good when you do go on interviews. there is also a coping with job loss board on this site (i think it's on the main page), if you haven't checked it out already - it helped me deal when i was laid off.

if you had a culinary degree, how would you use it? do you need it to do what you love?

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-25-2010 - 3:07am

Hi cl-happy.pants,

Thanks for your response.

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-26-2010 - 1:10pm

I think that we need to look at things that happen in our lives as opportunities.

Losing your job in this economy is scary, I understand that....but were you happy in the job?

When things happen to us it is rarely an accident.

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-27-2010 - 8:56pm

Hello lemontessour.

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-27-2010 - 11:09pm
Is it