Aggressive anger at work
Thu, 02-25-2010 - 8:17pm

Hi all,

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-26-2010 - 9:50am
i think
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-26-2010 - 10:47am
I do agree with what your saying but I fee like they knit pick of my work or just think im a pushover that they could say anything behind my back and thats the Problem. I have respect for myself and i'm actually a hardworker. But I feel because iv'e been there about 21/2 years the work is getting repetitive and i do my job well but dont put much effort. I cant stand the cliques at work and people who are fake. I'm a very blunt person and cant be fake but hold my tongue alot at work and I think im at a point especially this past week that im giong to explode. I do know my faults and dunno how to use assertive behavior with people. I guess it stems from my family upbringing always had a loving family but in arguments was always yelling or screaming occasionally not sitting down at a table discussing things. It is my 1st job and im learning how to deal with people. At times im to myself but its important to have a Tunnel Vision at work especially in Coporate America. It's like bosses have favorites not even work related
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 8:36am

i've also been at my current job for 2.5 years and it's starting to get boring. it's like the honeymoon is over :) i was talking to my dad about it the other day and he said that now that i've shown that i can do the work it's time to start working on my people skills. which i think is a good idea and might also help you. i'm not very assertive, either, and my job is sort of behind the scenes, but it doesn't hurt to know that you can look out for yourself if you had to.

you're probably right about your outlook stemming from your family's arguing style. that makes a lot of sense. but i think that everyone who works in the corporate world worries at one point or another that their coworkers/managers are criticizing their work or talking about them behind their back. and i also believe that a lot of companies thrive on this insecurity. where i work gossip is a big issue because it's 'kill or be killed'. so is passing the buck - it's easier to blame someone else than to take responsibility. (both of these stem from insecurity.) that's why i think, now that your job is getting repetitive, it's time to focus on building your self-confidence. if your boss criticizes your work, you should be confident enough to recognize that it's just work and not an attack on your personal character. like i said in my first post, some bosses are just like that and it has nothing to do with you. (it's how they learned to survive in corporate.) or if someone is talking about you behind your back, you should realize that their insecurity is the problem, not you.

i found a good site with some tips on surviving corporate culture: http://www.ichannel.ca/corporatepolitics. take a look and see what you think. i would also add one more thing: don't take it personally!