How did this happen to me?!

iVillage Member
How did this happen to me?!
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 2:20am

I am extremely isolated and lonely-looks like I have come to the right place.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 12:12pm

what was her reason for canceling? just curious if it's a legitimate reason. damn, i think we should create an entire board for lonely ppl, this is indeed a very prevalent issue in our society/age group?

one thing that stuck out- you have a good job. I actually don't but always tell myself that if I did, i would have some co-worker friends, lol. how do you get along with your co-workers?

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 3:21pm

The last 2 reasons were legite-dog was having some issues after his surgery (it was just the fact that the cancellations were 8 in a row).

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-24-2010 - 1:58pm

it is really hard to make friends as you get older. people's priorities change, for one thing, and sometimes by the end of the work week they're just too exhausted to think about making plans. i don't think it has anything to do with you. i agree that meetup does feel forced, and most people at my gym aren't the most sociable people either. what about taking a class at your community college, or volunteering? what kinds of things are you interested in? sometimes being around a new group of people for just a couple of hours a week can help with the isolated feelings.

where did you get the idea that you had to be married with kids by the age of 30?

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-24-2010 - 11:48pm

That's a great idea about find a class at a local community college, but they actually have done away with the community classes because they were not

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-26-2010 - 11:37am

i think you are being too hard on yourself, too. there are lots of ways to live your life; getting married and having kids is not the only way, even if it's what society wants you to believe. i know a lot of people who went that route and regretted it (even if they love their kids, they wish they'd stayed single, i think - marriage is really hard sometimes). how many of your sisters and former classmates have the education that you do? how many of them have a good job? try making a list of things that you like about yourself or things that you are grateful for, and when you feel jealousy rearing its ugly head think about that list

i know it sounds cliched, but you have to figure out what makes you happy and live your life according to that. if you don't know, find out. you have probably 55 or 60 years to do so. it doesn't matter what other people think is best for you or what they think you should do with your life, because they're not you.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-27-2010 - 1:53pm

boy can I relate to you. One thing stands out from your post...at least you have a boyfriend AND a good job. I have neither at the moment (and frankly, I've never had a boyfriend and just turned 29).

I'm at my sister's for the week taking care of her (she just had major dental surgery). Yesterday, I was in tears after her boyfriend came over and I saw how much he cared for her. Even though I came all the way from Jersey to Philly, it was

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-31-2010 - 12:48am
I'm sorry that you are in this place right now, as I am too, in regards