Always mean at work

iVillage Member
Always mean at work
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 8:58pm

I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I dont know why this is but every day I am so horrible to my work colleagues. I cant think of a single nice thing to say to them so i just sulk and brood in my corner and if anyone speaks to me i start an argument. Then i get paranoid that they want to boycott me and mess with my work. I just cannot bring myself to be nice to people i work with. I'm fine with friends. I've just always been so angry and paranoid around people i work with.

Why is this?? Is it a self esteem thing?

Maxine

Maxine Ryder

www.oc

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-14-2010 - 6:49pm

I don't believe that it has anything to do with self esteem.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-14-2010 - 12:17pm

I could see this as a self-esteem issue or possibly a depressive type deal, but as you said, it's only at work.

One guess I have is you feel like there is competition at your workplace.... especially in this economy :)

Think about our sweet pets, like a dog. They can be fun and a joy to be around. But when they feel threatened, cornered, they growl, arch their backs, stick their tail under & show their teeth. Just yesterday I took my puppy to an off-leash park & even though she wants to play with other dogs this was scary to her & she growled at any dog who got too close. It's not that she didn't want to be there, she was simply scared.

Now, it's a catch-22. If you're the one that doesn't play nice it's possible you are putting your job a little at risk. So maybe if you concentrate on one person only for one whole month. Do you have somebody you pass several times during the day, like a receptionist? You could make it a goal to simply say hello & good-bye (with a smile) every morning, lunch & evening. That is not conversing, but it is passing pleasantries. Something to just soften the light around your office.

Good luck. I currently hate my job and it plays havoc on my life & my health. Mine does bring down my esteem really low & I'm burnt out and have no desire to make myself worth more in this industry. Blah!

Peace

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-11-2010 - 9:16am
did somebody