I do not know what group I fall under

iVillage Member
I do not know what group I fall under
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 4:41pm

Hello,

A bit of a back story: I used to be over 200 pounds and now I am 150.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 5:14pm

First of all... congrats on the 50 lbs !!! Wow, what an accomplishment.

I have been trying to lose 8 lbs for probably 2 years now and it's not working. I've heard of plateaus and maybe that is where you are. For me, I believe it's a psychological thing. I believe sometimes our emotional weight can transform to physical weight. So with you being upset at giving up that meal, feeling sorry for yourself, rather than rejoicing yourself for treating yourself with the respect you deserve, you gained some emotional weight. Now, you didn't get caloric weight. Maybe there is some hormone fluctuation, maybe you didn't get enough water yesterday & now you've retained some, etc. I can seriously gain 7-8 lbs from morning to night. There are many reasons why you'll weigh 1 lb more today. I never weigh the same amount when I step onto the scale.

There is a place called sparkpeople.com. At this website they have lots of tools on how to make life style changes to help accomplish your goals. They also have forums for specific groups, like losing 5-10 lbs for example.

I also think if you're not enjoying your workouts you may not being putting your full effort into it. Have you looked into any sports you enjoy? Tennis, swimming, martial arts, etc? Something to change your work out a bit and make it more enjoyable from time to time.

My biggest belief, as you start to learn to like yourself and to treat your body with respect, and here is the tricky part - learn to accept & appreciate your body where it now, is when you'll start to lose weight naturally. Now due to your PCOS, you will have to put more effort into it than some.

Learning to treat my body with respect, I do not feel left out when my family eats high-caloric/fat foods. I've never been one to drink sugary drinks, but I did decide to give up my iced tea for water just to get as much benefit from my liquids as possible. Eventually, water is what I've come to prefer. My H still has a hard time believing it & if we do eat out, he keeps ordering me iced tea (while I sit a the table with the kids). I've had to tell him, I'm not depriving myself by drinking water & he has a hard time believing me.

... but now I understand how important water is. The more I learn, the more better I feel about myself for making such a commitment. The more I'm committed, the less I feel deprived.

I do this with other foods too. I start learning the benefits of oats. Wow, there is a wonder grain! As I learn more, the more I appreciate and enjoy & find myself leaning toward.

My new motto, "I would rather make it last than be fast."

Peace

(Note: I do not always say no either. For example, I've been craving lasagna - I will have it in the near future. Haven't picked a date, but sometimes we bend, because there also needs to be a balance of respecting your desires too :)

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 5:27pm
Thank you.