Vents & Victories

iVillage Member
Vents & Victories
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 6:41am
Good morning everyone,

How was your weekend? Did anything happen that you'd like to vent about? Any victories you'd like to share with us? The weekends tend to get too busy so we'd love to hear from you today.

Also, how does this week look for you? Is there anything coming up that you're excited about? Or is there anything coming up that you're dreading? I'd love to know what's going on for you.

Take care,

Gail

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 10:29pm
Well, it's great to see you back again! And I'm glad to hear things are going well.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 9:49pm
I have to say that I have a victory to announce and here is the place to announce it and own it!

I have started stepping out of my box and into the world of discomfort. I went to an Indian Cooking class and it was great. Didn't know many people there, only the friend I went with. I have also taught a couple of classes at my school and I have avoided this activity for over two years now. I also went into a group of people at a party and started talking to them. I didn't know most of the people there but I gave it a try.

All went well during these walks outside of my box-comfort zone- and I am proud of myself for doing this!

Thnak you every one for the supprot you show to each other and to me.

HBW

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 10:47pm
My victories for the weekend included getting the house cleaned finally. We're in the middle of remodeling the kitchen/dining areas so the house has been one big disorganized mess. I'm a nester-type of person and the clutter and dust was getting on my nerves so I cleaned the best that I could given the circumstances.

Also managed to get some major work done on the filing cabinets. I finally came across some updated recommendations for record-keeping and set about dealing with that. So far I've tossed out 4 1/2 13-gallon size trash bags full of shredded docs, statements, etc. :) I like that.

The rest of the week looks to be good and busy, too. I am a homeschooling parent and today was our first day "back" after a two week break. (One week out because we were all sick and another week for a spring break.) I'm also looking to get familiar with my new digital camera so I can take pics again and get back into the swing of running auctions on eBay.

Lots done and lots more to do....Isabella

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 12:42pm
Life seems both exciting and overwhelming right now. I spent most of the weekend not doing my taxes. I can't believe I'm still procrastinating about resolving that situation, especially after consulting an accountant and feeling relieved that things are far from hopeless. I'm just so intimidated by thought of conquering all that neglected paperwork! Yuck. When it comes to keeping records, I really stink. I mean, I probably still have every piece of paper that's ever come into my possession; it's just that everything's a jumbled mess. I even postponed today's appointment with the accountant because I haven't gotten my act together yet.

On the one hand, I feel like such a loser for not getting my butt in gear about the taxes. On the other hand, I am very excited about a writing opportunity that recently came my way. A friend of mine works part-time as managing editor of a local paper. He contacted me about doing a couple of articles for him, and last night we met to discuss the articles in more detail. This may turn into a regular writing gig for me, and I like that idea very much. I'm also feeling a little nervous, because writing news is unfamiliar territory for me. And, like my tax situation, the deadline for the articles is just around the corner.

I'm sure that I will manage to do both of these things, no matter how intimidated I feel right now, but I can't seem to quiet the fluttery feeling of panic in my chest. I know that taking action would probably do the trick, so why is it that taking action is the last thing I want to do?

Hope everyone else had a good weekend.

Take care,

GreenJeanz

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 9:47am
Good luck at work this week. Starting a new job is always hard for me because it means I have to ask for help, and I HATE to ask for help. I always feel like asking for help means I don't have it all together. I don't know why I expect myself to have it all together when I've just begun a new job, but I do! So, good luck! I hope you find it easier than I do to ask for help!
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 9:43am
Lots of victories here! Wow, what a great weekend! The afternoons I spent boogie boarding at this awesome beach the kids and I found. That was so much fun! Being in the ocean also really helps me connect with my higher power and helps me with my OA stuff. I feel so present when I'm swimming in the ocean. Friday night, I went to a comedy club, and it was great. I already posted about that, though. :o} Saturday night, I went to a musical called Beehive. I loved it--it was all music from the 60's and 70's. But I have to tell you, one of the songs made me cry.

The 60's music was all my mother's favorites, and was music I grew up listening to. One of the songs, "You can never go home any more" was sung and it had a big impact on me, emotionally. I had forgotten all about that song, but it was one of my mother's favorites. If you don't know it, it's about a teenage girl who runs away from a loving mother and when she decides to go home, it's too late, her mother has died while she's gone. It's very melodramatic, very sad. I know that my mother would script what happened with our family like that, even though I know I wasnt' a silly teenager, and she wasn't a loving mother. (When I was talking to her about the effect the sexual abuse had on me and told her that it had made me suicidal for many years--a very difficult admission for me to make, I felt like I was admitting a major character flaw. Anyway, her response was to deny that it was true and to say, "Well how do you think *I* feel? So, she's big on melodrama.) Still, I felt pulled into that song, and my heart just *twisted* in my chest. It really hurt. I can never go home anymore. I hope that when my dh retires that we can get a house and live in one place so that will start to feel like home, because I do feel like everywhere we live is always temporary, and like we don't really have a place to call home. I always feel like I'm at home when our family is together, but with dh half a world away, I guess I'm feeling homesick, like I just am not in the place where I belong.

But the boogie boarding was tremendous fun, and I was able to do it in spite of my tendinitis, which is keeping me from running right now. :-(

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 7:09am
My biggest victory this weekend is my yard. I've been procrastinating so much lately but my bf got my butt moving and we really hit the yard work hard yesterday. We mowed, trimmed, raked, etc. It's beautiful! And it feels so good to have this done.

I realize I need to do this more often. Perhaps it's depression but I often find myself doing absolutely nothing when I have so many chores in front of me. I've been okay with doing nothing b/c I've labelled it "doing things for myself". But I think I've been fooling myself many times since actually fulfilling these tasks may be more rewarding than just lying around. I really want to move my life forward and this was a good example of how action on my part gets me going in the right direction. The weird thing was, I had more energy last night even though my body was sore than I have when I do nothing during the day but goof off.

Now, as far as this coming week goes, I'm hoping my new found energy hangs on. I have so much work to do with my job since the conference last week went so well. Of course, this is all good but I still don't know what the heck I'm doing so I'm a little nervous. I'm just going to do what I can do and ask tons of questions. Being new is so humbling, *sigh*.

Plus, I'm a little worried about therapy this week. We got a lot accomplished last time with regards to loneliness but it opened a door to some really yucky stuff. The thing is, I only get to see her once this week and I'm afraid it won't be enough. I'm sure it will be okay but you know how it is, you sort of like that safety net.

Well, I had better head to the shower and get this busy week started. Hope you all have a good day.

Gail