Question

iVillage Member
Question
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 4:33pm
How do you feel about a your state having a Sex Offender Registery? And does your state have one?

T

iVillage Member
In reply to: tonya416
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 5:13pm
I live in California, and I recently made it my business to find out how many sex offenders are living in my neighborhood. I didn't go so far as to look up names and addresses. I don't even know if that's possible, but if I had kids, I would try to get more detailed info. I also don't know how current the information is, but it was pretty shocking to find out that at least half a dozen sex offenders live within a five-mile radius of my home. I'm literally surrounded by them. Like I said, it was a real shock, because according to FBI crime statistics, my town is something like number three on their list of safe places to live.

I haven't really changed my habits since finding out, because I've never been one to take my safety for granted. I am always on high alert. Plus, I know a number of people who will never make it onto that registry, because they'll never be prosecuted for their crimes. I guess it's hard to be afraid of the "bad guys out there" when members of my own family have gotten away with doing the same sort of thing.

When I think about that, the fact that members of my own family *are* the bad guys out there, I can't help wondering if these registries give people a false sense of security. Most people don't want to believe that their husband or father or mother or brother is a sex offender, but it's still a distinct and unfortunate possibility, and I wish more people would keep that in mind. At the same time, I also think it's better to know that the registered sex offenders are out there than to turn a blind eye.

iVillage Member
In reply to: tonya416
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 9:37pm
Hi...I live in Texas, and yes we have a sex offender registry. They don't keep up with it--or, they don't keep up w/the offenders--too well, apparently. There have been several stories in the local media lately where journalists have researched the issue and discovered that a vast majority of the offenders had moved and couldn't be located.

I fully support the registries but I wish the courts and law enforcement could stay on top of this a little better.

Isabella