QOTW: Processing emotions

iVillage Member
QOTW: Processing emotions
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 1:39am
As usual, I'm going to ask a question that stems from where I'm at, recovery-wise. (Where else could I ask from? LOL) Most of you know that I repressed the memories of the actual abuse along with the emotions I felt during the time of the abuse. I understand that many people always remember the actual abuse, but repress only the emotions and then work through them later.

I feel a very strong resistance to working through the emotions. I feel like that's just a big old ugly can of worms I'd just as soon keep a lid on forever, thank you very much. On the other hand, a little voice has been telling me that this isn't the right way for me.

So, I'm wondering this:

1. How do you all feel about working through the emotions you felt when your abuse happened to you?

2. And have you found successful methods of working through these emotions? (And if so, please share them!)

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 12:42am
***Trigger***

1. I hate working through the emotions. When my therapist tries to get me to work on them in a session I usually end up freaking out and I get desparate to find something, anything to self injure with.

2. I see a Christian therapist and praying through it usually helps.

Precia

Precia

Cl-Families and Mental Illness

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 1:02am
1. How do you all feel about working through the emotions you felt when your abuse happened to you?

It's no picnic but well worth it for me.

2. And have you found successful methods of working through these emotions? (And if so, please share them!)

My T has given me tools to regulate how much emotion I experience so I'm not overloaded and re-traumatized. She has also taught me ways of containing those feelings between sessions.

Edited 4/2/2003 7:09:37 AM ET by cl-opal45

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 8:10am

1. I didn't know how to answer this question at first cuz I've always managed to limit or dance around that area. At the same time, I thought I went through all that with my old T. Boy, am I wrong on that one! My T is starting to go in that direction and in a way I'm fine with it cuz, that's a big reason I'm in therapy. At the same time, it totally feels like a whole new territory and I'm being blown away by some of these emotions that I seemed to have locked up.

2. I find myself resorting to some of my old coping habits. Listening to music is the main one. I didn't realize til recently that a lot of CD's I have now, is music from the mid 80's to the early 90's. It was my escape those times. Listening to some of that music lately brings back a lot of memories of how I was feeling those years. Another old habit was riding my bike for hours. Just riding while listening to music, disconnecting and getting lost. Once I got exhausted or realized that I have no clue where I am, I would find my way back home. Nowadays I do that by driving my truck. Killing my gas and cranking up the miles. My T is strongly encouraging me to find other ways because she feels that I'm putting myself at risk by driving while disconnecting. I've been walking lately and that seems to help. Eventually, I'd like to get to running. I'm also involved in a DBT (dialectical behavior therapy) group and learning skills through that. 2nd phase starts next week and we will focus on distress tolerance skills. HOpefully through that, I'll learn more about what helps and doesn't help me.

Kari

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 11:54pm
I think I'm just the opposite; I've always been a bag of emotions and not known where they were coming from. I repressed the memory but always had the emotion that went along with it.

Per Gail's advice, when I get that knot in my stomach I do the dominant/non-dominant writing, and I exercise. When I get a barrage of emotions I try to accept them and find where they are coming from. Also I keep a journal on the computer because I can type FAST! and that has been a good way to get the emotions out of me, and then it's easier to analyze the situation once it's written down.

I'm fine with working through the emotions because they've always been there anyway. It's either figure out where they're coming from or lose my mind altogether! LOL Since I'm still in the process of trying to remember, I think a part of me is somewhat afraid of remembering. There has to be a good reason why I repressed it. Looking at it that way, maybe I AM afraid of digging up more emotions. Hmmmm. . .thanks for asking that question. I'll have to give it some more thought.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 10:00am
I, too, repressed both the memories of the abuse and the feelings/emotions associated with it. I struggle so much with dealing with the emotions I felt then and the emotions I feel now. For example, when I feel like I could cry, I work so hard at NOT crying. I even now that it would beneficial to cry, but giving myself "permission" doesn't work. I haven't quite figured out a way to let these feelings/emotions just happen and be. I know they'll be easier once I have practiced letting them happen. However, I'm SOOO not there. I, too, could use advice on letting these emotions happen. They scare me to death. Stacy