Needing your advice, feedback, thoughts

Avatar for sunshineydays
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-25-2003
Needing your advice, feedback, thoughts
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 11:09pm
Hi all,

I don't know if I want to see my pdoc again. Here's why and a bit of history:

I have been seeing my T for almost two years now. When I first started seeing her, I was also being prescribed meds by my gynecologist as she was the only health care provider I saw on any regular basis. Anyhow, after awhile I found a regular doctor who is in family practice. When my insomnia first got really severe and she ran out of things she felt comfortable prescribing for me, she suggested I see a psychiatrist. So, I now see her. We are finally at a point where there is something working for the sleep.

Okay--my insurance covers a set # of visits to a mental health professional/year. Well, that means my T and my pdoc together. I would rather use as many of my mental health visits going to my T, not my pdoc. Yet, I am worried about NOT seeing her b/c if I go back to my regular doctor, then what if I have to return to my pdoc? I worry she'll be upset, or something. I also worry that my regular doctor won't want to deal with me (no, I haven't asked her). I don't know. If I had my choice (which I guess I do in a way), then I would see my family practice doctor as far as prescriptions and checkups for depression & insomnia medication. That way, no more sessions are going to be taken from potential T visits.

So, what do you think? I am asking so even if I don't like your answer, I want it! :) I have spoken with my T regarding this, but you know how therapists are--"What do you think, Stacy?" :) Other than that, she just thinks I need to ask my family practice doc about it.

REALLY wanting your thoughts on the matter. Happy Daylight Saving Time night! Stacy

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-21-2003
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 12:59pm
With my insurance, there are a set # of visits I'm allowed, but that restriction is easily circumvented. All my doctor has to do is say that visits in excess of the maximum are necessary. Is this a possibility for you?
iVillage Member
Registered: 04-09-2008
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 1:57am
If I were in position similar where I had to choose one or the other, I think that I would also choose my therapist. The talking and coaching is such a lifesaver to me.

Maybe since your Pdoc has you on meds that are working, your family dr. could just continue prescribing those meds?

I would also explain the situation to the Pdoc so she understands where you're coming from; maybe she can find a way to circumvent the system as Freegirl mentioned. In any case, I would think that she would understand and I'm sure she has/has had other patients in a similar situation. Maybe if the final decision is to go back to family doc. and still see your T, you and your pdoc could have the understanding that when the new year starts you can come back in to touch base and see if any fine-tuning is needed. Maybe you could even meet with her every three months or so?

I don't know if these are good suggestions or not, but this is what came to mind when I read your post. Either way I think it's a good idea to communicate to your pdoc what the situation is, so that there aren't hard feelings or a feeling of "unspoken issues."