Coming back to the board

iVillage Member
Coming back to the board
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 8:31am
Wow! What a change. I am still figuring out the new board. I have found the outline view and that made it easier.

I've been gone for a long time. Can't even remember when I last posted. Must have been sometime near or after Christmas.

I am doing well. I am on break from my T due to unforseen circumstances. I am trying to see if my group will get it together and start meeting again. It's all I have right now, but that isn't exactly true either. I have friends that I can talk to and they are very good listeners and very understanding. It is so nice to move outside the victim role and start moving into survivor. This time I will make it. In the past I fell back into that role, but this time I WILL MAKE IT TO THE OTHER SIDE.

I am going to my Psch this week about sleep disturbance and anxiety. My psych had said that anxiety might occur once I was off the Zoloft. So I will see what he thinks this week. I have been off the Zoloft since Nov. I feel realitively great. Some way of saying that, huh. :-)

I'm just glad to be doing so well at this time. I'm looking forward to this summer and seeing my new granddaughter being born in July. This is my oldest daughter having her first child in the wake of divorcing her husband-some of you remember this tale and I won't drag on with it. She is doing fine and learning that she is a loving person who deserves someone who will respect and love her. We both are healing our relationship as time goes on.

My work continues to be great! I love what I do and I am thankful for having a job I love. My graduate work is coming to an end soon. I am in my internship and will finish in June. Then I have my research paper and my comprehensive exams to complete and then I will be done. Should be in December 03. After that I will take my licensure exams, boy that will be stressful, but I will make it.

I hope all are doing well and I will try to catch up soon. I am on Spring Break this week and will have to take breaks from my research paper so will read in between writing it.

Take care everyone and safe healing to all.

(-: Humming Bird Wings (AKA: HBW) :-)

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 6:29pm
I'm glad to hear you are doing well! I'm also glad you stopped by to give us an update! Hope things continue to work well for you! Stacy
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 10:54pm
Hello,

I've only been on the board for a couple of months, so we are new to each other. I'm glad that you're doing so well.

I was just wondering what field you're graduating in. I would like to return to school to become a psychologist/counselor. Being a survivor of SA as well as other things has given me a desire to help other people. Kind of nervous to go back because I'm in my late thirties and it's been awhile!

I'm glad that your daughter is also doing well. Was her husband abusive to her? It sounds like you are a good support to each other, and I think that is wonderful.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 11:50pm
Thank you for taking an interest in my degree program. I am in my Master's for Counseling. I, too, find myself wanting to help others in so many ways. But this, like my teaching, has always been something I wanted to do.

When I was in College at 26 to get my Bachelor's degree to teach, I was older than the other students and scared silly. See it was the first time I ever stepped out of my box and my H pushed me into a corner about college so I had to move forward or listen to him tell me over and over again to go for it, and I am glad that he did.

It wasn't easy. Back then I had 4 children under the age of 9. My oldest was in third grade (9) and the others were 7, 4, and 2. Time was not something I had to waste and I learned very quickly to manage my time so I could be an honor graduate and learn as much as possible to work with children in the elementary school. My youngest has remarked that those were the best years because we all sat at the table doing homework together, even she at two and her sister at 4 had homework-I'd give them paper to draw and write their names and cut and color while we worked on our stuff ffrom school. I thought they were the worst because I wasn't able to give everything to them in respect of time and such, but she has helped me see it differently and she is right. Course my H wishes now that he hadn't pushed me into that mode because I would still be the gullable woman he wants so that he can push me around his way.

I am now in my last year of classes for my Master's in counseling. I have always done some counseling as a teacher. When I graduated with my Bachelor's I wanted to go back in no more than ten years and get my Master's in Counseling. I missed it by two years. It took me 12 years to start but I did and I am almost finished. It hasn't been easy this time around either.

I am working full time and going to classes at night to finish this program. Stress is right at the top of my list and I took a year off after separating from H so I could go gang busters into my own needs to heal. It really helped. Not having his weight to carry made it easier for me to work on me. It was harder getting back into the swing of college now that all the kids are gone. I no longer had to budget my time between all the kids and their needs and began to procrastenate a bit. But I will finsih this year.

I thik you can do this, too. I don't know much about you but I can say that you won't know until you try. I know how scary it is to do something new. I also know how much it will help you feel confident in your self when you finish. Go for the GOLD as they say! I'm here to support you through it.

Take care!

HBW

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 10:39pm

It's great to see you back HBW! I'm so happy to hear that your daughter is doing much better now. And glad to see you doing well too!

Would love to hear your opinion on the differences between a master's in Social work and counseling, if you know them. I want to get my master's but not sure in what yet. I got my BSW almost two years ago now and I've said 5 years to get my master's. I might change that goal to 10, I dunno.

Just to let the rest of y'all know, I've been without power for four days due to a crazy ice storm!!! I'll catch up on the posts very soon! :)

Kari

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 1:21am
I don't have the differences between the two degree programs, but my personal experience with therapy has not left a good mark when it comes to Social workers and counseling me. I had better experiences with counselors trained in Cousleing than social workers trained in counseling. Sorry I can't be of better assistance in your decision.

Thank you for welcoming back to the board.

HBW