Telling my therapist

iVillage Member
Telling my therapist
Mon, 04-14-2003 - 11:32pm
Does anyone have tips on how to disclose to a therapist about sexual abuse experiences? I haven't been able to get the words to come out of my mouth, and I'm not sure what to do. I feel like not disclosing is causing stomach aches, anxiety, etc. but I just can't tell anybody. The only people I have said it aloud to are the people here and one boyfriend, who subsequently freaked out and judged me for still speaking to my mother (who was the one who abused me). I know a therapist won't judge me, but I still can't say these things out loud. Thanks for any input.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 12:30am
Maybe if you typed it out like a journal entry or something it would be easier to get out, then either read it to your therapist or give it to him/her to read during your session. Writing has always been easier for me, and over time and practice it's gotten easier to verbalize things. I use journaling a lot just to help me get things out, and during "loaded" weeks sometimes I bring copies with me during the session.

I wish you the best with this. Talking about things of this nature is difficult.

{{{hugs}}}

Heidi

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 11:51am
I agree! Write it down and walk in holding the paper so she has to ask you about it. :o} I have to psych myself out about things like that sometimes & that's what I would do. Actually, I HAVE done this. I used this technique not with a T. but with a doc who was doing my annual GYN exam. I walked in and handed her the paper. I was too nervous to talk about it--I was afraid of crying hysterically. It worked great. She very gently asked me some questions, and then I felt comfortable enough to talk. Good luck & let us know how it goes!
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 12:18pm
Thanks! Writing things down is a lot easier. I tend to chicken out a lot so holding it out in front of me when I walk in is a good idea, otherwise I'd probably never even show it to the T. I'll let you know what happens.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 2:48pm
Hi There

Welcome to the board!

...another idea

I have a hard time as well getting some things out. Writing them out has really worked for me - but - I felt uncomfortable sitting there while she reads through it. So - recently I've been faxing her stuff the morning before my session. This way she has a chance to read through it - and it sort of saves a little more time in actually discussing it.

Let us know how you made out

Tonya