Need to Know

iVillage Member
Need to Know
Sun, 04-27-2003 - 2:08pm
I need to know this and no one responded to it when I first posted it so I'll post it again. what EXACTLY constitutes as rape? Hasn't there lately been some controversy over it?

Valerie
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-27-2003 - 4:55pm
What do you want, a legal definition? If so, I'm sure it varies from state to state. Why not call your local prosecutor's office?
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-27-2003 - 6:09pm
Hi Valerie,

I'm confused a bit as well. I guess I'm curious what purpose you have. The word "rape" is a label in many regards. "Abuse" is more encompassing. And to me abuse is when someone invades my personal boundaries without my consent.

So, why are you asking? Just curious.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 5:05pm
I don't know, closure, confusion, I guess. I suppose i just didn't realize that it was such a terrible question to ask.

Valerie
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 7:28pm
It's not a terrible question to ask--just a difficult one to answer. I hope you don't feel discouraged from asking other questions in the future, because you're certainly more than welcome to do so!
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 10:19pm
Valerie,

This may trigger, so please don't read on if you're not feeling safe.

I think the question is valid. I think it's just that it may have different meaning for different people. Then there's the whole legal definition vs. what someone thinks. I looked on Merriam-Webster on-line b/c your question got me thinking. Plus, I remember once a friend saying that even if sexual intercourse was not part of your being sexual abused, the person still has been raped in a sense.

Here's what m-w.com says,1 : an act or instance of robbing or despoiling or carrying away a person by force 2 a : sexual intercourse with a woman by a man without her consent and chiefly by force or deception 3 : an outrageous violation

If one would go by this definition alone, then rape would be any type of sexual abuse, IMHO. I certainly feel that being sexually abused was an outrageous violation, as well as an act of robbing--robbing my trust, my safety, my sense of balance, etc. I don't know if that helps at all, or not. Again...you got me thinking and just wanted to share. Take care, Stacy

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-04-2003 - 1:02pm
thanks, stacy. that cleared it up for me. i just decided that i'm okay now. i don't need a board. its all behind me now. i can be on my own.

v