survivors of incest anon or other groups

iVillage Member
survivors of incest anon or other groups
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 1:22am
Hi, I'm new here. I was just wondering if any of you have ever gone to survivors of incest anonymous (12 step) or any other in-person support group. If so, how was it? I'm thinking of going, but I'm not sure. Thanks.
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 2:41am
I haven't heard of that group--but if there were one around here, I would go! I currently attend an AMAC (adults molested as children) group and OA (overeater's anonymous, another 12 step program). I find that the face to face atmosphere brings me more peace than I ever could have imagined. I mean, I love this board, of course--but there is something about sitting down with someone and talking face to face. But I'm speaking as a person who has struggled her entire life with isolation--so sitting down with someone is huge for me. Not everyone has that issue.

Welcome to our board, and please, let us know how your meeting goes! I'd love to hear more about it.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 3:12pm
Well, I didn't say that I AM going...just that I'm thinking about going. ;) LOL. So maybe, I will go within the next decade.

Seriously though, thanks for the welcome and your thoughts. I never talk about all this stuff...sometimes with my best friend or therapist...but I thought if I could go to a group like a 12-step one (which in my understanding prohibits cross-talk), I could just TALK...and then go home. Or just listen...and go home. I don't know, maybe that sounds weird, but I think it might help me.

Anyway, as far as the Survivors of Incest Anon., I don't know for sure if they have any groups around me either. I found out about them from an internet search, but they don't post their meetings online (for safety of members). I called to get the directory of meetings, but I'm still waiting for it to arrive. I liked their modifications of the 12 steps.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 4:33pm
Hi,

I just started one a couple of weeks ago and so far, I like it. It's work, and it's more of a "Christ centered" group, so we pray and read the bible, but that's what I felt I needed right now....there are alot of them out there.

Hope this helps,

Amy
Nurturedheartmom

Amy -

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 6:15pm
You know what they say at OA, right? For people hesitant to join, thinking it might not work for them, they say to come anyway. It's free, and any misery you leave there will be gladly refunded if you decide not to stay. LOL ;-)

I completely relate to your feelings about cross-talk. There are some things that I just need to say & not receive feedback on. One thing I'd like to invite you to do is to post here & feel free to put a note such as, "Please don't give me feedback or advice about this. I just need to be heard." Or something like that. I can't guarantee that no one will respond, but we are a pretty courteous and supportive group, and I would certainly strive to encourage members to respect those boundaries.

Also, feel free to email me if you ever want to chat. riggss002@hawaii.rr.com