Having strange dreams; poss. triggers

iVillage Member
Having strange dreams; poss. triggers
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 10:40am
I've been at a pretty good place in my SA healing over the last little while. Over the past week, though, I've been having very sexual dreams that are disturbing to me.

For those of you who have been dealing with this longer than I have, what would be your take on this? It makes me feel like I'm oversexed. In one of them I was watching a movie that would definitely be considered X-rated. I have never watched an X-rated movie in my life. Would this be a signal from my self-conscious self that it's time to go deeper with therapy? I was thinking that maybe since I've had a period of time where emotionally I've been on an even keel, maybe my subconscious feels that I am strong enough to handle more.

On the other hand, could these dreams just be random and have no significance at all? Am interested in your input.

Thanks--Heidi

HeidiRose

co-cl, Sexual Abuse Healing Board

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 11:28am
Dreams are never concrete so it's very hard to interpret them. I can certainly understand how disturbing they are for you though. I would hate anything sexual to enter my consciousness, especially in my sleep. That, for me, would be very triggering.

I think your assumptions seem valid to me. Perhaps though, there's a part within you who would like to explore her sensuality/sexuality more. Just a thought. I bet your T will be more helpful with translating this for you. Good luck.

**gentle hugs**

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2003 - 10:18pm
Maybe these dreams (especially the one where you are watching a video) mean that you're ready to work on aspects of healing more directly related to sexuality. If you're watching a video, you're not really participating, so maybe your subconscious is telling you that you feel you are ready for some growth there. What do you think?