Counselors?

iVillage Member
Counselors?
Sun, 06-01-2003 - 8:42pm
Need info on finding a therapist/counselor.....any databases or websites?
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 11:37am
Asking for some clarification here--are you looking for a database/website ABOUT finding a counselor, or of counselors?

I personally am not familiar with a database of counselors; I saw my first counselor through a social services network in my church. At that time I wasn't being seen for SA, but for managing my relationship with my toxic mother. Shortly after I stopped going, my husband's PTSD symptoms started surfacing and he started being seen. His case was more involved than what they were equipped to deal with, so they referred him to the counselor we see now.

My daughter sees a children's counselor, and to be honest I found him in the yellow pages. When I looked at all the listings, he was the one I felt good about, and he takes our insurance.

Maybe calling your med insurance company for a referral would be a possibility? You could also ask for recommendations from your family doctor or OB/GYN, or from your local hospital. I would definitely mention that you are looking for a counselor who has experience in dealing with sexual abuse.

I hope this helped--good luck in finding a good one, and let us know how it goes.

Hugs, Heidi

HeidiRose

co-cl, Sexual Abuse Healing Board

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 2:03pm
<>

I agree with Heidi. If you don't know anyone who is seeing a counselor, then your next best bet would be to ask your insurance to see who is part of their plan.

My two psychiatrists (former and current) and therapist were all referred to me by the employee assistance program where I work.

Then you can also ask other doctors you see. My internist (who I think walks on water) has recommended some other good docs to me.

Good luck.

HTH

Mia

fka Purple_Pansy

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-05-2003 - 5:10pm
spiderweb--did you ever find a therapist? Let us know!
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-07-2003 - 1:47pm
Yes, after taking everyone's advice, I took the time to make some calls through my healthcare. It took a while to connect (I hate red tape) but I was able to find a therapist and I have a very good feeling about her. I felt relaxed, and I don't feel relaxed in most parts of my life, so I thought that was a good sign. There is a lot brimming under the surface, so I have to discuss several things, even other than the molestation to figure out what's been irritating me lately.

Thanks for the support and good suggestions!

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-07-2003 - 2:34pm
I'm glad you were able to find someone, and that you feel comfortable so far. That step can be a hard one. You want someone who is understanding and who you can trust.

When is your first appointment? Let us know how it goes. I wish you well!

Love, Heidi

HeidiRose

co-cl, Sexual Abuse Healing Board

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-09-2003 - 7:58pm
Sorry to respond late, I just started using this website but I had a great experience with another website that I thought would be helpful in case this therapist doesn't work out or for anyone else looking. I believe it's 4therapy.com and it has a number of options you can input including the gender of the therapist, their specialty and most importantly what insurance you have. So before you even go through the aggravation of dealing with insurance issues, you will know that the therapists that come up accept your specific insurance. I am currently seeing the therapist I found on there and love her! Good luck, you have taken a big step!