QOTW: Art & healing

iVillage Member
QOTW: Art & healing
Tue, 06-03-2003 - 2:00pm
Has art played a part in your healing journey? If so, was it as a consumer of art or a creator of it? Tell us about it!
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2003 - 7:10pm
My T has had me do a bit of dominant/non-dominant drawing, and it was very revealing. Also, I crochet or do artwork as a self-soothing and comforting activity. I have at times taken my crocheting to counseling sessions, group meetings, etc. to help myself through. It's nice to have something soft and pleasant to do with my hands.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 1:59am
I also have used creative outlets--crocheting and other hand work included--to help me cope. I had never really thought about them as contributing to my healing; I just know that when I'm really anxious and have a lot to work out internally it is a lifesaver to have something to do with my hands. I crocheted lace panels with last names in them (frameable) a couple of years ago for family members for Christmas. This was during the summer and I turned out eight of them. To me that said how stressed out I was that summer! And boy can I go fast when my minds a-goin'!

As far as art goes, I have always loved lighthouses, even before they became so popular. To me they represent safe haven and peace. I used to listen to a song called "Captain of My Soul" many years ago on a regular basis, about Christ being the captain of our souls and master of our destinies, and I love the image of him guiding me at the wheel of a ship, pointing the way to the lighthouse. Along with that, Thomas Kinkade totally captures in his artwork that feeling. He's known as "The Painter of Light" and has done many lighthouse paintings. I always feel peaceful looking at his artwork.

Heidi

HeidiRose

co-cl, Sexual Abuse Healing Board

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 3:29am
Those of you who know me know that art has played a big part in my healing. Even before I knew I was healing from something, it was playing a big part. I wrote my first novel manuscript (not published) in six months, shortly before I had my first memories. My former therapist read it and said that it portrays "grooming" to a T. When she said that, I had to ask her to explain what grooming was because I never heard of it. It's the way the abuser manipulates the victim's emotions and gains total control over her. There is also one violent scene in my novel that completely represents what happened to me. I didn't get it when I wrote it, but months later I went back to read it again after some memories surfaced, and it was amazing to me how clear it was.

I also write poetry and essays. Even when my writing isn't about the sexual abuse, it still heals me. To speak and be heard, especially in a lasting way, is so contrary to the way I grew up. I never spoke. I was never heard. Even posting here is an extremely healing thing for me. Just to speak and be heard. What a gift.

I also love music. Singing (privately, at the top of my lungs) has always been soothing for me, I think because it forced me to breathe properly and I usually didn't otherwise. There's a wonderful song called, "I'm going to California." I can't remember who sings it, but it's about a girl who is sexually abused by her father who is patiently waiting until she turns 18 so she can go to California "where the sun always shines." I love that song.

It reminds me of the scene in Forrest Gump where the little girl says, "Please God make me a bird so I can fly far, far far away" over and over again. I used to say things like that. So add movies to the art I consume! I often watch 12 step movies, such as 28 Days and Clean and Sober to try to get insight into my compulsive eating problem.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-05-2003 - 1:17pm
I've always been into "art" and being creative. My father discouraged, so sometimes I have a hard time expressing myself. I love arts and crafts, especially painting. I like drawing too. When I went to the conference for survivors of abuse they had an artist there who taught us about Mandalas. They are really cool and that's going to be the next thing I want to learn about.

Amy
Nurturedheartmom

Amy -

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-05-2003 - 5:09pm
What are mandalas? I've never heard of that before.
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 11:26am
Thanks for sharing Freegirl. Yes, I just learned about "grooming" recently at the conference I went to. It sure sounds like what my father did with me.

I forgot about music, yes I love to sing at the top of my lungs in private too. Wow, didn't know this was a form of coping either. It makes sense though.

Amy
Nurturedheartmom

Amy -

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-07-2003 - 7:55pm
Both. Music is an art and it gives me strength and comfort. And have you ever just picked up some crayons and a coloring book? Very thereputic. Paints too. It seems to occupy my mind and take me to a better place. Doctors say color therpy is good. I say art is neccassary.
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-08-2003 - 2:25am
I love to color! So does my sis & another lady in my AMAC group. We LOVE it! Sometimes I color in front of the TV at night and color pictures "for my kids" for the morning. LOL It's really for me, but I tell them it's for them! :o}