First Visit to a Therapist

iVillage Member
First Visit to a Therapist
Tue, 06-10-2003 - 6:44pm
I went and was nervous. But after I went I just started talking. There is anger, there is shame, there is guilt, there is distance, there is other stuff that I have yet to figure out. But I felt I was in a safe place and maybe I can come to terms to how I have been affected and how I can claim my life.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-10-2003 - 8:38pm
The way you felt going in was perfectly natural. I think most everyone feels unsure of where to begin when they first start counseling. It's an interesting and very enlightening process as you continue. It's amazing the feelings that surface. Be sure to address and talk about those feelings. Your counselor can help you make the connections to where those feelings are rooted.

Congratulations on this big step! I'm glad that you felt safe there. There will likely be some difficult things to address and work through, but having a safe place to talk about them makes such a huge positive difference. I hope this counselor will prove to be a good support to you.

Keep us posted, and come here as often as you need to. Lots of hugs here!

Love, Heidi

HeidiRose

co-cl, Sexual Abuse Healing Board

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 12:45am
Wow, you really nailed it about being in a safe place. That's the thing that made all the difference for me. That's what makes healing possible--a safe place in which to heal. Good for you for taking that step!