Emotional Detachment

iVillage Member
Emotional Detachment
Fri, 06-20-2003 - 7:05pm
I'm going to bring this up in my session on Monday, but have any of you experienced feelings of emotional detachment from people and ideas? I'm not sure where it springs from, but after really thinking the last two weeks about many things in my life, detachment from people, except for a few family members and close friends, has been theme in my life. Lately the feeling, or in this case, the LACK of feeling grows stronger. I've followed some suggestions from my therapist, but I have to delve in it more. To feel is to live, isn't it?
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-21-2003 - 12:24pm
Yes, I have felt this way. I still sometimes feel this way. For instance, on my kids' last day of school recently--saying good-bye to their teachers. (I was close to their teachers & volunteered all the time up there.) All day long, I was just like--ordinary school day. Have a nice summer! No feelings at all--until the very end of the day, and they just hit me. It was like a delayed reaction. Then I cried all over my ds's kindergarten teacher. LOL I do know the feeling you're talking about--but I don't know how to deal with it. Sometimes I get it here on the board, too, whcn I read someone's post, it's like my emotions shut down when it gets to be too much.
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-21-2003 - 7:44pm
I go the other way, to where can be TOO emotional. It makes sense that detachment would be a powerful protective mechanism. I'm sure it's developed over time as a way to keep you safe. It sounds like you have been selective about who you trust and feel safe enough with to give them your emotions.

Good luck with your session on Monday, and let us know how it goes.

(((Hugs))), Heidi

HeidiRose

co-cl, Sexual Abuse Healing Board

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 8:45am
I have found that being detached is a powerful defense mechanism- if I don't let them in then they can never hurt me. I am usually pretty in touch with my feelings but there is always that feeling that I need to do anything to protect myself from others who may be hurtful, the best way to avoid feeling hurt is to not feel at all. I don't think it's a healthy way to deal with things but considering how you or I have grown up, it makes sense. Good luck with your therapist, just know that what you're experiencing is normal and we've all been there.