Have you experienced gynocological pr...

iVillage Member
Have you experienced gynocological pr...
Thu, 06-26-2003 - 2:22pm

Have you experienced gynocological problems relating to sexual abuse?

• Yes, diagnosed by a MD.
  • I suspect this but have not been diagnosed.
  • I don't know.
  • No health problems at all.
  • No, my health problems are related to other things.

You will be able to change your vote.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-27-2003 - 1:34pm
**Possible Triggers**

I lost a baby when I was 22 years old. I was six months along, and she was stillborn. Years and two kids later, in a gyn exam, my family practitioner said that there were studies linked to this kind of loss and childhood sexual abuse. It wasn't a "diagnosis" or anything, and I have not been able to find those studies anywhere, but my feeling about this is that my father put bad energy or something into my body, and my body stored them up somehow, and I have felt for a long time that my body spit that baby out as if she were a stone in order to make a fresh start. I know this probably sounds a little crazy, and I am not blaming my body, but it feels very true to me. There's actually something in buddhism that reminds me of this--someone called Shiva--who says that out of destruction comes renewal. I grieved for that baby for a long time, and I feel very healed now about her loss. If I had her, I would not have the dd I have now. Her loss also brought my dh and I much closer than we had been. Luckily, we leaned on each other very much at that time.

My sister has had a lot of gyn problems--even an exploratory surgery. Thanks for posting this poll.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-28-2003 - 3:56pm
Thank-you for sharing your story, i'm sure it was not easy. My condolances to you. Anyways, the reason i ask is because i have had chronic yeast infections since before i started menstrating. And physically sometimes it's like it still hurts, seems like the skin cells are damaged (genetic cell memory?).

My son was literally a shot in the dark. When i did get my period nothing was ever normal. I went on the pill till i was 21 (from 16) to moderate the frequency. Otherwise it just never came. It seems to me that because my body was subjected to even the minor invasion it was, that it never grew properly. When i went off the pill puberty went with it. No ovulation, no period for over 2 years. Then one day i started throwing up. Turned out i was pregnant. First egg i'd produced in years. After i had given birth and stopped breastfeeding nothing came back. Still not a woman apparently. I finally got referred to a gyno after pressing my GP and he put me on hormone therepy which eventually did kick start things the way they should have been when i was a teen.

But needles to say i still have many problems that my doctor does not seem to think are worthy of spending time on.

Perhaps someone in the science community ought to start studying the physical and medical ramifications of abuse on a childs body. We've come along way but we still have miles to go to protect, prevent and heal those already hurt.