Poll: If you shared your story below,...

iVillage Member
Poll: If you shared your story below,...
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 2:25am

Poll: If you shared your story below, do you feel more empowered for doing so?

• Yes
  • No
  • I don't know how I felt

You will be able to change your vote.

HeidiRose

co-cl, Sexual Abuse Healing Board

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 2:30am
Please feel free to share more about the way you voted! Just click on "post your reply" the same way you would on any other post.

I definitely felt more empowered for having shared; it's a step toward not remaining silent anymore, and fueled my sense of indignation at what happened to me. I have done a great job of burying my feelings for a long time, so it's good for me to get angry that it happened.

Heidi

HeidiRose

co-cl, Sexual Abuse Healing Board

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 6:58am
Posting has inabled me to realize just how much my assult hurt me and shaped me through the years.

The challange for me is to keep the anger that is now coming up in it's proper place and to not take it out on my family or any one else for that matter. That is why why it is so important to come here to vent out those feelings where they will be shared and understood.

Patti

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 8:55am
Empowered? No, not really. There aren't too many people in my life who don't know my story. If I didn't share it with them, then my ex-husband made sure he did. No big deal though. I truly believe people know how tormenting this abuse is. I have NO fear that anyone finds me guilty or shameful for it. And even if they did, they're WRONG.

I think what I really felt were the pieces falling into place. I certainly felt more gratitude and compassion for myself with this telling. I was not angry at my grandmother for her role in this b/c I think I understand where she may have been. Right now my focus is on the strength and courage of my inner selves who managed to survive through such seemingly endless trauma. I'm almost stuck in awe while it sinks in how strong and resourceful I was. The thing is, I'm sort of putting my life on hold while I get this important piece. That's okay, they deserve this attention. Soon I believe this will fuel me to a bigger and better life. It's like I can feel it all coming together.

That's my two cents worth. Thanks for listening.

Edited 7/18/2003 10:23:04 AM ET by opal45

**gentle hugs**

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 12:29pm
I definitely feel empowered every time I share my story in a safe place. And more than empowered for me, I hope that it is *empowering* for others who read all of the stories posted here. There is so much experience, strength, and hope here. When a survivor is at the point of wanting to tell, wanting to go forward in healing, I don't think there's anything more fortifying or validating than listening to the abuse and recovery histories of other survivors and sharing in that kind of safe community. Doing so has helped me to share my abuse and recovery history with several non-survivor friends. If I hadn't had this kind of community, I wouldn't have been able to branch out like that.