QOTW: Group therapy

iVillage Member
QOTW: Group therapy
Sat, 07-19-2003 - 12:02pm
What are your experiences with/feelings about group therapy?

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-19-2003 - 12:21pm
I did a VOICES (victims of incest can emerge survivors)group a long time ago, and found it "stuck". That's the only way I can describe it. The whole group was "stuck". I found that a few women dominated the group, and we rehashed their "stuff" over and over and over. I quit the group. I was 21 years old, and was feeling really discouraged that because of these women's example, I would be in the same spot all my life with no healing taking place. Lord knows that is not true today, and I really don't know what motivated these women to stay in crisis for so long. I have been trying to get to a place where I feel like a group would be beneficial. I have been thinking alot about it actually, but there are no groups around where I live. I would have to travel over 1 1/2 hours to get to a group. I am undecided whether I want to do that right now. I am looking forward to seeing the responses of others here.

Katy

~~~~~Katy~~~~~

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-19-2003 - 12:27pm
This board is they only therapy I have at the moment. I can't drive (very poor depth perseption) so I have no way to get to a group, and can not afford therapy.So I'll be depending on this group alot.

Hugs, Patti

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-19-2003 - 12:30pm
The brief time i participated in one, well it did not work. Seems like a bad idea on principal. A group of people that is either desperately seeking attention or desparately trying to hide from it. It's guaranteed some will get steped on and left behind and those vying for the spotlight will never feel it is enough. Perhaps mine is a drastic view of it but if it is a benefit to anyone it would be those much advanced in their healing. So there is my 2 cents. Take Care All & Safe Days,

Danielle.
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-19-2003 - 3:46pm
My thoughts exactly. If the T isn't great then group dynamics take hold and I've seen how bad it can be. A group can be "stuck".
**gentle hugs**

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-19-2003 - 6:41pm
Wow! I'm really surprised by the overall negative experiences noted so far! I have found my AMAC group to be exactly the opposite of what has been described here. My AMAC group has changed my life. I have found it to be a safe and nurturing environment, and one which has led me to great changes in my life. My group is very dynamic--in fact, I have often been inspired to push myself further by my fellow group members' work. I have also been impressed that no one has ever "hogged" the group time, and no one has ever just sat quietly and not participated. I kind of expected that, but the group just seems to have a way of balancing itself out. The only disappointment I've had with the group is when members move away. (We're a military community, so this has happened several times in the last year.)

I share about my group here often because it has been so pivotal in my life--far more than individual counseling, I think because my main problem after the abuse was isolation--and I so often read posts here and wish that folks here had a similar place to go. For me, group has helped me to take principles I learned through individual therapy and through reading books and practice and discuss them in safety. Most importantly, it has led me to take down the walls all around me. I feel like a real person for the first time in my life. For me, group was a safe little microcosm, and it has given me courage to go out into the real world and just be myself. For me, that's healing. I can't say enough good things about my group. I hope that some of you reading will at least give it a try. I think that one of the main ways that sexual abuse keeps us down is through isolating us, and a group is a great way to de-isolate and heal.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-20-2003 - 12:03am
This IS my group therapy. ;o) I love individual therapy, and have been thinking that it would be so nice to attend a face-to-face support group as well. I have read that it is best to attend one that is overseen by a therapist, rather than a self-help group. I don't know if that is true or not; I can imagine benefits either way, but I can also see where you might run into challenges with a self-help group. I think that at the very least I would want to attend a group where the leader has been on the road to recovery herself and come a long way.

I would be very open to group if I found the right fit. I definitely find strength in numbers, and it would be a way to step out when I feel like isolating myself.

Heidi

Edited 7/20/2003 12:04:13 AM ET by cl-breakinfree

HeidiRose

co-cl, Sexual Abuse Healing Board

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-23-2003 - 1:36pm
I was in group therapy once and I didn't find it to be useful. There were two of us who had gone through significant abuse and the rest were procrastinators or underacheivers. Not that their problems aren't significant to them, but I really was thinking the whole time, wow, I wish I only had that to deal with. Not to mention the psychologist leading the group was really not very helpful. The other girl and I both left the group after 6 weeks.

I believe that a group can work, it might take a while to find the right fit though. And it definately requires people with similar experiences.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-23-2003 - 4:24pm
Hello,

My experience wasn't good but it wasn't bad. I think the therapists were so concerned with a safe space that they didn't push enough and let emotions out. So, yeah in a sense we were stuck. They did some great things to transition us to the outside world at the end of the sessions. I think my problem is I had individual therapy with a wonderful therapist and I had been posting on the board and gotten wonderful ideas from here, that the group therapy was then redundant. I wanted a big breakthrough and lots of sharing but it didn't happen.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-23-2003 - 4:52pm
That's it! My group moderators were too concerned about the safety that they didn't push. It was painful to endure session after session of nothing. No one opened up for fear of triggering anyone else. If someone did open up and someone freaked out (which with our group was fairly typical) then the rest of the session was spent settling things down. At least here you can purge what needs to be purged and warn people of its possible triggering nature. This board has been my group.

And like you, I've been blessed with the most marvelous therapist. Group therapy was actually my ex-husband's idea and that was a few years ago. It's interesting, I know my current T leads a group yet she's never even brought up the possibility me. I wonder why. I think I'll ask her next time.

**gentle hugs**

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-23-2003 - 5:15pm
I was in group therapy and personally for me it doesn't work. There were times when I wasn't ready to deal with something and was pushed deal with it. If I got to uncomfortable I wasn't allowed to leave so now I just do one on one therapy. Andrea

Pages