I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong place but

iVillage Member
I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong place but
Thu, 07-24-2003 - 3:24pm
I need a question answered. Can any medical person or even non-professional tell me if there is any legitimate reason for a nurse to press so hard on a 6-year old's clitoris that it hurts? And then to claim they were just checking reflexes? Please advise ASAP.
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2003 - 7:15pm
I'm not a professional but that does NOT seem right to me. You don't test reflexes on a clitoris! That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I don't remember EVER being even touched there by a doctor; the most I remember is him is gently spreading the labia and just looking there to make sure everything looked okay.

I would report the nurse. This just seems all wrong to me.

Good luck in dealing with this. I wish I could offer more. Hugs, Heidi

Heidi

co-cl, Adults with ADD/ADHD Board &

&nbsp

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-25-2003 - 12:12am
I am a nurse and I have NEVER even heard of a reason for touching a patient's clitoris. Reading your post made me sooo angry! Who is the Dr in charge of this nurse? There has to be one! I would report this.

Good luck!

Hugs!

Shelly 

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-25-2003 - 9:05am
Unfortunately it happened over 30 years ago. At the time, of course, I was far too young to know any better and besides, she was a nurse! Someone important - I was just a kid. It's funny, but I'd completely forgotten the incident until a few years ago, but gradually I came to realise that there was something very wrong with that picture. I guess I don't feel much of anything about it now - I guess I'm lucky in that's the only incident in my life.
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-25-2003 - 12:50pm
Well, I don't think I'd call that lucky at all. I don't think that the specifics of the abuse are all that important in healing. I don't mean to minimize anyone's experiences, but I think what's most important are the ways that the abuse affected you, and what you can do about it now. Has this affected you? It seems like it must have if you're here on this board, but I thought I'd ask. You're more than welcome to share and post here--don't feel like the specifics of your abuse disqualify you from being a member here. (((hugs)))
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-25-2003 - 1:58pm
Thank you for you what you said. This has been the ONLY incident in my life and I know that it never occurred to me that the nurse did anything wrong until a few years ago, so I'm pretty sure it didn't affect me. I do think that in comparison to some of the appalling things other victims of abuse go through, I don't have much to complain of.
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-25-2003 - 4:31pm
I'm sorry that this happened to you. I know what you mean about not feeling like you should complain because of what others' have been through. I have felt that way on occasions, too. But the important thing is to be attentive to your feelings as you process this allow yourself to feel what you are feeling. If you haven't already felt angry or indignant about this, I believe it's likely that you will. You need to allow that. Come here as often as you need to. You're welcome to think out loud here!

Hugs, Heidi

HeidiRose

co-cl, Sexual Abuse Healing Board

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-26-2003 - 1:31pm
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! What in the hell is any NURSE doing touching a child? That is the doctors job! And there is no reflex in the clitorous! Report this to the proper authorities immidiatley. Good Luck and i'm sorry anybody child you know has been subjscted to that kind of abuse by someone like that.