celebrating a little victory

iVillage Member
celebrating a little victory
Sat, 07-26-2003 - 7:47pm
Hi,

I think I've only posted once on this bb, but I read now and then. I wanted to post today because I had a little breakthrough that not many people would understand, but I think you guys will! Well, like many of you (probably), I often have flashback-type dreams. I wake from those feeling crummy, scared, ashamed, yucky, depressed....etc. Well, last night I had another one of these dreams...but in the midst of the abuse, I managed to tie up the abuser and call the police (no, I'm not saying this is realistic, just that symbolically, it's good!). Anyway, I woke up feeling GREAT! I won! And then I realized that everything that I'm doing--living, healing, processing, loving, etc.--I win! Anyway, that's my little celebration. Please reply so I don't feel stupid for sharing.....

Thanks,

Stephanie

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-26-2003 - 9:17pm
Hi, Stephanie!

Thank you so much for sharing this victory with us!! It is so good to hear about others' progress. It gives me hope when I read posts like this.

You had a conquering dream! I believe that means that you are getting stronger, and your mind is understanding that you have the power to overcome what you have been dealing with.

My husband has always had very vivid dreams. Usually they have been very conflicted and violent, with him killing bad guys right and left, etc. When he started counseling he had a very interesting dream where he was in the mountains hiking with a group of friends and he fell and was injured. His friends helped and supported him down the trail to the car and took him to get treatment. Later the dream turned into another one where he was with a large group of people he knew and they were all linking arms to get across a dangerous highway.

We felt that this dream was representing to him the help he was getting by going into counseling, and that he needed to allow others to help him. Up to that point he had always had the "nothing's wrong" or "I need to do this myself" type of mentality.

I don't think you should feel stupid at all for sharing this! This is a wonderful new level in your recovery, and I am so excited for you. And I'm glad that you felt so GOOD after you woke up!

Hugs, Heidi

HeidiRose

co-cl, Sexual Abuse Healing Board

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-27-2003 - 2:53am
AWESOME! Thanks for sharing it with us.
**gentle hugs**