Guess what?

iVillage Member
Guess what?
Thu, 08-07-2003 - 12:02pm
Hello all,

I have been away from the boards for awhile. I have been popping in now and then reading posts and thinking about everyone's plight in our SA journeys. I just have not had the energy to respond to anyone's post. I think I have made it through the rough spot, and feel that I have much more energy.

What I wanted to tell you guys is that my family and I have been honored with an award! My husband is in the National Guard, and has had two deployments in the last 3 years. When he was first deployed, I started our Family Readiness Support Group in our Armory. We had monthly meetings, to support each other, but to also make things to send to the soldiers to show our support for them also. Our state Family Readiness Program co-ordinator called and asked my family to be present at the State Family Readiness Conference weekend because we were being honored with an award. To make a long story short, we went, and we were given the honor of being the Family of the Year for our state! I was so shocked! Yes, I put alot of time and energy into the group, but I was doing what came naturally, and didn't feel that I did anything over and beyond what everyone else was doing. My dh is the group liason, and my dd and ds were very active with the group. I guess we deserved it, but I have that tendency to undermine my commitment. I am working on making myself more accepting of praise when I deserve it. Anyway, I want to tell you all about my excitement. I think it helped pull my out of the "uglies" as I call it.

thanks for listening

Katy

~~~~~Katy~~~~~

iVillage Member
In reply to: katystears
Fri, 08-08-2003 - 12:08am
Katy, that is wonderful! Congratulations! It sounds like you did a wonderful job with this. My husband used to be in the Army Reserve, and during Desert Storm we had a Family Readiness Support Group, too, although it wasn't anything like what you describe doing with yours. I believe it really takes someone with a lot of commitment and talent for working with people to pull that off in such a good way. Definitely enjoy this to the fullest and give yourself the well-deserved pat on the back! We all need those bright moments in our lives, especially when we are dealing with difficulties.

I am so happy for you!

Hugs, Heidi

HeidiRose

co-cl, Sexual Abuse Healing Board