Reoccuring Dreams?

iVillage Member
Reoccuring Dreams?
Mon, 08-11-2003 - 12:36pm
Hello all,

I have a question for everyone. Does anybody have or have you had reoccuring dreams?

I find that lately I keep having the same dreams over and over, and I can't seem to put a stop to them. I am sure it is telling me I need to open up about something, and I can't seem to figure out what it is right now. I have spoken to my T about this in detail, but the dreams keep happening. Obviously we have not hit on the right thing. Sometimes I think I make them worse because I anticipate it, and then it happens. Viscious cycle sometimes. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Katy

~~~~~Katy~~~~~

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-11-2003 - 11:29pm
Hi Katy,

I have had recurring dreams about my first crush. I first started liking him in 6th grade and we became good friends, and had a crush big time by 7th. He also felt that way about me, and I remember the dances in 7th grade he would tell my friends to tell me that he loved me and to ask him to dance. I was what I thought was extremely shy; I could not talk to him or even act normal around him. Saying hi in the hall was a big deal for me and most of the time I had my nose in the air. By 9th grade he decided I was stuck-up and didn't think he was good enough for me. I know people say that you never get over your first love, etc., but it has disturbed me that since maturing and moving on I still dream about him from time to time. I felt like I was being unfaithful to my husband by having those dreams. Usually in the dreams I'm just as smitten and just as uncomfortable. Lately, though, the dreams have been much more comfortable with me handling myself in a way where I was friendly and honest, and we had a great time together.

I realized after the last one that I was seeing a pattern. I think my mind is reconciling the things that were wrong and redoing the scenarios now that I know how to handle myself. I remember after one of the dreams it struck me that the reason I was so freaked out was largely in part to the sexual abuse I experienced at a young age. I was afraid of boys for a long time, uncomfortable with the way they looked at me. When puberty struck I didn't know what to do with those feelings. Watching my kids grow (my son is the age I was when this all started) has really pointed out to me how not normal I was, and the coping behaviors I used made me come across totally opposite from the way I felt. I never made the connection until fairly recently.

I ran into this guy about five years ago at a Christmas open house given at someone's house where we grew up, and I conducted myself just as stupidly as I did during those teenage years. I felt like the biggest moron ever, but I couldn't help it.

This was a good thing to bring up. I think dreams are powerful messengers.

Hugs, Heidi

HeidiRose

co-cl, Sexual Abuse Healing Board

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-15-2003 - 2:24pm
I have always had recurring dreams. There was at least 4 regular ones as a child and they certainly plague me now. Different of course but none the less constant. The dreams now a days don't bother me so much, the fear is not present just the sorrow. But they are almost a relief now as they are an escape. The things i experience in my dreams are very vivid and almost a pleasant escape.