Inspirational Quote of the Week--Enjoy!

iVillage Member
Inspirational Quote of the Week--Enjoy!
Mon, 09-01-2003 - 4:58pm
Our Deepest Fear

by Marianne Williamson

- an excerpt from the book, A Return To Love:

Reflections on the Principles of A Course in Miracles

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.

We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

© Marianne Williamson, 1992

Found in "A Return To Love: Reflections on the Principles of A Course in Miracles" Harper Collins, Chapter 7, Section 3, 1992.

HeidiRose

co-cl, Sexual Abuse Healing Board

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-04-2003 - 8:10am
This one is truly a gem! I believe it was actually Nelson Mandela's inaguation speech.

BTW Heidi, have you studied "A Course in Miracles"? Just curious.

**gentle hugs**

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-04-2003 - 10:56pm
I think I've seen this attributed to Nelson Mandela also. Part of it anyways. I printed it off this time.

And, what is A Course In Miracles.

Deb

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-05-2003 - 5:24pm
I haven't studied "A Course in Miracles," but on finding this quote and where it came from I am interested in checking it out.

I found this quote on one of the sites I listed under Resources for Inspirational/Healing Quotes and Poems. I got it from the fourth site I listed.

Are you familiar with Course in Miracles? I would be interested to hear what you know about it.

Glad both of you liked the quote! I thought it was wonderful. I didn't know that it was attributed to Nelson Mandella; I hadn't heard it before.

Hugs to you both, Heidi

HeidiRose

co-cl, Sexual Abuse Healing Board

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-05-2003 - 7:07pm
I studied "A Course in Miracles" for about two and a half years. It's not really a book like I thought it was at first, it's more like the Bible or Koran. Its source sounds like a sci-fi story but its essence is magnificent. I really would love to return to it once I get through therapy.

Edited 9/6/2003 12:29:35 AM ET by opal45
**gentle hugs**

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-07-2003 - 10:15am
Thanks! That was great! The part about encouraging others reminds me of what it feels like on a really good teaching day. :o)