Hello!

iVillage Member
Hello!
Fri, 09-05-2003 - 5:23pm
Hello everyone! I'm back! Sorry to have been gone so long. I'll spend some time trying to catch up over the next couple of weeks. We're in our new house (renting) but our household goods won't arrive for another three weeks. So, we're basically camping on a futon and air mattresses and a rented table and chairs. I wish our things would get here so I could start unpacking, but at least the kids started school on day one. That made it easier for them, I think.

Thanks, Heidi, for holding down the fort while I've been moving! What ever happened to our third CL? Didn't someone apply for that? I know we sure could use a third!

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-05-2003 - 8:09pm
Good to have you back, free girl! We've missed you, that's for sure!

No one ever applied for third cl, so it's just the two of us still! It hasn't been as busy as it was there for awhile, though, so it's been fine.

Sounds like you made the move successfully--I hope you get your stuff soon! I would hate having to wait on all that. How are your girls doing with school?

Are you going through culture shock up there? Talk about a totally new environment! Hawaii to the cold north! LOL

How's hubby? I'm excited to hear more from you! Love, Heidi

HeidiRose

co-cl, Sexual Abuse Healing Board

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-05-2003 - 9:02pm
Welcome back! Hope you and your family adjust to your new surroundings easily!

Katy

~~~~~Katy~~~~~

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-06-2003 - 11:05am
My kids are doing great in their new school. My dd got the teacher she wanted--one who the principal told us is the main force behind the awesome art program in the school, and my ds was put into a grade 1/2 mix, which is perfect for him. He started K late because he had an August b-day and he just wasn't ready that year, but since then his reading has sky-rocketed. He's reading at about a 4th or 5th grade level, if not higher. (It's amazing to hear this kid read!) So, there might be a chance that he'll finish grade one and two this year and then be placed at a more appropriate level next year. We'll see.

It has been a culture shock. It's cold here, and for some reason we stand out as Americans. People just seem to KNOW that we are from the U.S. I haven't figured out what gives us away yet. And there is more anti-American sentiment in Canada than I realized before. We listen to their public radio station, and there's A LOT of anti-Americanism there. I'm a little worried about it. My SA issues definitely have to do with this--I am afraid of not being accepted. What I'm doing about that is going to OA meetings and sharing my feelings and my worries. I'm being honest about my fears instead of covering them up. For some reason, saying, "I'm afraid I won't make friends here," helps me deal with that feeling better than if I just held it in. I'm trying hard to work my program. I'm going to my fourth meeting this week today, and it's helping.

Another aspect of culture shock is that there are different foods here. My low-cal staples are nowhere to be found. I'm doing my best, though. That's all I can do.

It's good to be back on the board!

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-06-2003 - 2:12pm
hi

i did but got no repley

lots of hugs

catherine

xxxxxxxxx

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-07-2003 - 9:57am
I'm not sure why you wouldn't get a reply. I wish I could give you more info, but the current CLs aren't "in" on the selection of new CLs. That's handled by the CM's.

I wish I could be more help. Perhaps you could send a follow up email?

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-07-2003 - 9:00pm
Welcome back,

I guess I didn't realize Canadians were so different that you would have culture shock. Nor did I think they would have that much dislike for Americans. And are the foods that different? That's interesting.

Has DH adapted well to coming back to family life? I am sure it has been a difficult transition for all of you.

Take care.

Deb

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-08-2003 - 10:14am
You're right. It's not exactly culture "shock." Maybe culture "surprise." LOL I expected everything to be the same, I guess. The foods are different--there's not nearly as much "low fat" or "diet" fare to be found in grocery stores, and everything is labeled differently, so it's hard to understand. I think that if I join weight watchers here again, that will probably help me learn how to read these labels and which products are the ones I want.

And thanks for asking about my dh. He is adapting to family life. It's just like he never left. It's been nice having the kids in school again. He hasn't reported to his new job yet, so we've had a few hours alone each day just to hang out--a nice break after such a big move. :o)