QOTW

iVillage Member
QOTW
Sun, 09-07-2003 - 10:21am
What are you good at? Tell us about something you are good at. I can't wait to read these responses.

Heidi's inspirational quote and the discussion under Becky's post about old tapes made me think that it would be good for us to spend a little time tooting our own horns, so to speak. Don't worry about sounding self-centered or conceited. Everyone is good at something, so tell us what you are good at! Maybe if we spend some time thinking (or even meditating) about what we're good at, we will find more ways to build that thing into our lives, or perhaps we will find more things we're good at. I think we need practice putting up that "what I'm good at" antenna, though. So, everyone, please answer this one!

iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_free_girl_123
Sun, 09-07-2003 - 10:30am
I would have to say I'm good at being a good friend. I listen well and will be there as much as I can. I have plenty of friends and family that are friends also. We are always doing things and calling each other. I became such a good friend that both my DH's siblings wants us to be the legal gaurdian of their children if God forbid something happend to them at a young age. That makes me feel good. My 14yr old niece still loves hanging out with me. I think thats pretty cool considering the ways teenagers are today. Sometimes having as many friends as I have we can't always get together with everyone like we would love. But theres always a phone.

Have a nice day everyone.

Ariche

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-07-2003 - 1:21pm
I'm smart, insightful and I have a fairly quick sense of humor. Overall, I feel I'm fairly well grounded, all things being equal ;-).
**gentle hugs**

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-07-2003 - 2:56pm
I'm very creative. I write well, paint well, come up with all kinds of crazy ideas that I make happen creatively. Very artistic I guess you would call it.

I'm also a good mother. If I don't know what is going on with my kid I'm like a force to be reckoned with until I get to the bottom of it. Child development experts, doctors, teachers, nutricianists, CPS, law enforcement personel, school staff members, therapists, new age gurus, social service organizations, chartitable organizations, support groups, national organizations, the US gov't, the monster that is medicaid... from the lowliest persons to the head hauncho... I'm not afraid to ask ANYONE for information and I'm not afraid to take ANYONE on until I get her what she needs. I'm not very good at swimming in those waters but that doesn't stop me from jumping in and dog paddling until I get an answer. I am a veritible marathon mom, night and day, 365, and I'm not afraid to simply annoy the heck out of them if being nice or being firm doesn't work. I'm like the terminator... I never quit. lmao they don't have to like me they just have to give my baby what she needs to be ok in this world because she has just as much right as anyone else to get what she needs. I guess I am a warrior woman and I never knew that until having my daughter brought out the she-bear in me. That is what I am good at. ~G

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-08-2003 - 1:53pm
Great question! I've really enjoyed what everyone has answered so far.

I'm a completely right-brained person, LOL. I'm creative and am never happier than when I am using that. I love creating things to decorate my home, all crafts, sewing, designing scrapbook pages, etc. I also enjoy creating programs for various occasions, and wrote the Christams program for church for the past two years. I play the piano and sing, and write music. Until recently I directed the church choir for about 2 1/2 years. Recently I discovered the ability to express myself through poetry. I wouldn't have discovered this ability if I hadn't started therapy for my SA. The reason I say I'm completely right-brained is because that part of the brain that is organizational doesn't function all that well! LOL I am the whirlwind that is always looking for keys, forgetting things, etc.

I used to be a dancer until I gained a lot of weight, and long to get back to that.

I feel that I am a good listener and friend. I am a great mom, if I do say so myself! LOL Not perfect, but I am happy with the job I am doing, especially considering the pattern I was shown by my own mother.

This was fun, but feels kinda wierd. I feel really stuck-up now! ;o) Heidi

HeidiRose

co-cl, Sexual Abuse Healing Board

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-08-2003 - 6:55pm
Ok, this is hard...but here goes.

I'm reliable. I'm honest. I'm a good writer. (It's amazing how long it takes to think of these things.) I've become a better parent since cutting contact with my mother. In spite how I was raised, I'm good at nurturing and hugging other kids. (Considering I don't remember being hugged by anyone when I was little.)

Don't know what else .....

Becky

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-08-2003 - 11:16pm
Dancing.
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-09-2003 - 10:02am
Free-girl, this is really hard. Not because I don't think I am good at anything, but because it doesn't feel good to talk about it I guess. I think it was so ingrained in those of us that were abused that we were not worth anything, and I still struggle with that. So, telling other people that we are worth something, therefore, good at something, is kind of hard for me. But, here goes.

I think the one thing that I am best at is being a mother. This is the one thing I have worked at the hardest. I definately did not enjoy my mother when I was growing up, and want my kids to have a mother they are not embarrassed by and are proud of. I think I have accomplished that, and I am proud of the relationship I have with my kids, especially my daughter. She is at an age when my abuse was at it's peak, and I am struggling with my reactions to that right now. I was her age when my father took me for an abortion because he didn't want his abuse to be exposed. This has been a hard summer for me because of that. But, despite all of that "junk", I am proud of the mother I have become!

Katy

~~~~~Katy~~~~~

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-10-2003 - 9:30am
I'm glad to see so many replies. I know this is hard for some of us, but I think it's important, as we tear down the negative effects of abuse, to build up something positive too.

My answer to this question would be writing, teaching, having compassion for other people, and being a Mom.