starting therapy

iVillage Member
starting therapy
Mon, 02-23-2009 - 10:16pm
My life is on a downward spiral. I dont even know where to start with this, so please bear with me. I have over the past few years made some REALLY bad decisions, i dont feel like I am a bad person, but I do feel like if I dont get help now, things will keep getting worse for me. A part of me feels like a lot of my current issues are a direct result of something that happened as a child, something I have repressed for a very long time, I have never spoke of this to anyone, except recently my H, but he is less than supportive, and has no clue how to be there for someone in need, so I can count him out. I have an appt with a therapist in a few weeks, I feel like I am ready to talk, but when the time comes, what if I clam up, and cant get it out? has anyone been in this situation? I just hope this therapist is a good fit for me, cause the last one I had, tried to hit on me, I have a woman this time. I am scared to death to get even a little bit of these emotions out, I am afraid i will lose my mind, anway, thanks for reading.

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: cmty
Fri, 02-27-2009 - 9:32am

You know, I haven't been ready to share it here quite yet. I am getting closer to being able to share it but I am not quite there yet. I am still working through quite a bit of anguish and pain and I want to work through it all before I go around sharing it. I am learning a lot about myself through counseling and Group and I think I am getting closer. I wish you the best of luck. Let me know if you need anything You are always welcome to email me through my profile.

Cynthia
You are loved, You are Special, You are WORTH IT!
Cynthia You are loved, You are Special, You are WORTH IT!
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-27-2009 - 1:28pm
It is very difficult starting thereapy.

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-28-2009 - 1:34pm
I love that quote about living in the present, it is perfect!
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-11-2009 - 11:45am
just an update, I had my 2nd therapy session today, didnt say much iin my first session, but today, it all came out, and I feel GOOD! It is a start to rebuiding my life. As you could imagine, I was a blubbering mess, but felt comfortable talking to my therapist about it. She gave me some tools to start healing, and I as very excited about this. I know it will take time, but it is a start.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-11-2009 - 12:59pm
I'm so happy to hear things went well and you're feeling more confident. That's awesome!! I'd love to hear more about the tools your therapist suggested, too.
**gentle hugs**

Gail
**gentle hugs**

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-11-2009 - 1:47pm
Hi opal, and thanks for your reply. Well, one thing she suggested was to write a letter to the person involved, eventhough he has since passed away, she feels like this will give me a bit of closure. Also, she suggested I keep a log, basically of how I deal with situations in my life right now, and maybe come up with an alternative way of coping. I also have a list of books to read, and my husband will start going to therapy with me, when I am ready for that, it may be a while until I am ready to share with him.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-11-2009 - 2:19pm

That is absolutely wonderful and GOOD to hear. I am glad you were able to open up to someone. It is okay to build a trust with someone before you tell them everything! Good for you. Sometimes it will be really hard and other times you will totally understand it. I am proud of you for going to your therapist and opening up! Keep up the great work and you will be able to heal!

Good luck also when you start taking your hubby. I don't have that luxury because mine works away from home during the week. Anyway good luck and I hope to hear many more happy posts from you. Also if you have to post angry mean horrible posts thats okay too :)

Cynthia
You are loved, You are Special, You are WORTH IT!
Cynthia You are loved, You are Special, You are WORTH IT!
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-11-2009 - 4:40pm
That is wonderful.

Pages