court update

iVillage Member
court update
Fri, 04-17-2009 - 2:21pm

I have been trying to update for days! My online job has been way busy. Anyway, Mike got 7 months for driving with a suspended license. He has served 1 which counts as 2. That gives Laporte county about 3 months to build their case.

Custody hearing. What a 3 ring circus!!!! SIL was there with her entire family (aunts, uncles, sisters, nieces etc), girls biomom (claudia) was there, and mikes biodad were all there. They were to be character witnesses against my folks??? Mikes biodad hasn't seen or spoken to my mom in almost 40 yrs, wth can he contribute? They had 17 witnesses! Insane. They tried to basically build a case against my parents on the abuse. Claiming they allowed it and would continue to do so. Right. Biomom came dressed better than the lawyers and the rest looked like trailer park trash. What a sight. SIL and Biomom were both found in contempt. A judge ruled a few years back that biomom was barred from any form of communication with the girls. SIL has been allowing her to take the girls for overnights! Up until this mess SIL was seriously against biomom, now they are best buddies? Judge warned that if there is any further communication they would both go to jail. The girls are a mess. There is no sign whatsoever of their spirit in their eyes. They are hurt shells of their former selves. When my folks tried to talk to them they looked at the floor and stated that they were not allowed to talk to them. SILs family, biomom, and mikes dad have basically been brainwashing them. (don't have another word for it). My folks are ticked. My folks have given SIL not one but 2 vehicles, turned on electric and gas after shutoffs, bought groceries, paid rent etc. My folks have always gone to any school things they were invited to. They have attended sports games. They would pick up the girls for weekend visits. Take them out of town on vacation. And this is how SIL acts now???? End result, the judge reversed his first decision to hand the girls over to my folks that day and rescheduled for next Fri. Now I have to go testify, as well as dh and my brother and whoever else is willing on my folks behalf. This should be over next week. At least the custody.

iVillage Member
In reply to: raetonycass
Fri, 04-17-2009 - 2:46pm
I'm glad that at least he was put in jail for awhile so they can build a case against him.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-17-2009 - 10:00pm
Thanks. At this point the case for the molesting is going downhill. SIL and his exwife (girls mom) is seeing to that. They are diverting attention off of what Mike did and on to all of this other bs. They have lost sight of the goal so to speak. My dad and I talked about that today. He has assured me that if Mike gets off on this that he will never be welcome in his home as long as the girls are present. He can come visit my mom but dad will make sure the girls are not there. Or me. Or my children. Or any other grandchildren. There will be no more holidays with the family. Funny, 6 weeks ago when I said I wouldn't be at holidays with Mike my parents flipped! Now they are on that side as well. My dad says he firmly believes the girls but only because of what happened to me. He said he doesn't even want Mike near me. I told him not to worry. I am a big girl and have learned how to handle him. Mike may or may not get convicted for this but he will never hurt any child in our family again.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-17-2009 - 11:01pm
I am kind of new here, so I don't think we have met (I need to properly introduce myself and tell my story) but I am so sorry you are going through this and my heart bleeds for your girls. I would hope that if two of them were found in contempt the judge can see they have no impulse control. I mean if they did who would be so unruly as to be in contempt when they r trying to show they can provide a loving stable atmosphere and support system for your girls. I am so glad your parents r on ur side. Your post sounds like maybe they weren't before. What a relief for you and for the girls. They need to know they did the right thing and having the gransparents support is important to that. I'm guessing Mike abused them. I certainly hope the judge is not blind about this. I am so proud of you for standing up for and supporting your girls. I'm sure u think that's a given, but my neice was nearly raped and her mother blamed her and did nothing until I stepped in. My ex bus partner and "sister" is married to a cop so I called him. After that mom got her business together. I wish u the best of luck and I wish healing for your girks and for you.
Moon
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-18-2009 - 9:49am
Hi and welcome to the board. Mike is my brother. He molested me and then later raped me. I wasn't believed. That was more than 20 yrs ago. Now he has molested his 2 youngest daughters. My past came up again with my folks and it was very ugly for a while. After chewing on it a while they have now come around and understand what happened. Now they are supportive. Now they are in damage control mode. I have backed off a bit, I did what I needed to do. I am dealing with my own medical issues (preeclampsia) and can't handle all the stress. That is ok, my dad has taken charge now. We will all stand by the girls and help them however they need it, as soon as my folks get custody.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-18-2009 - 1:12pm
Wow. What a sense of betrayal you must have had. I am so glad that your parents have come around. When I touched on it with my mom, and just the one incident, she basically said, oh well. That's how she was my entire childhood and why I didn't go to her when it happened and lied when she asked, but it still hurt anyway. So mom is out of the support loop. She is what she is and I accep it. We only have one mother, after all. I hope your parents win custody. I'm sorry your neices are going through this. Hopefully when they get in a loving supportive environment they can start to blossom and have normal human relationships. I pray this does not exacerbate your preeclampsia. I really do. Breathe, breathe, breathe. In a few weeks, months or a year this nightmare will be over and your neices will be leading a more loving, nurtured life. I applaud you for taking a stand for them. I had to do the same with my neice, but she escaped and her attacker was a stranger. Best of luck. Hugs and positive thoughts for you.