Inspiration Anyone?

iVillage Member
Inspiration Anyone?
Sat, 04-18-2009 - 5:12pm

Lately I've been trying to move forward as best as I can.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-18-2009 - 8:27pm

This is probably one of

**gentle hugs**

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-19-2009 - 3:49pm

That is a wonderful quote. However, it is often incorrectly credited to Nelson Mandela. He used it in his 1994 innauguration speech, but it actually came from Marianne Williamson's 1992 book

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-19-2009 - 9:29pm
That's interesting Allie. I read where it's an excerpt from a Nelson Mandela speech that Marianne Williamson quoted in her book. But I just dug a little deeper and discovered you are correct. My apologies.
**gentle hugs**

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-20-2009 - 10:33pm

That is a great one.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-20-2009 - 10:34pm
Thanks for the clarification Allie.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-21-2009 - 1:23pm

Hey, Gail, no need to apologize. I think it's a very motivational quote and I'm glad you brought it up. I hadn't thought of it for awhile. I just knew that all over the place it was being incorrectly credited so thought I'd mention it.

Actually, I printed out the quote and added some scrapbooking touches and brought it to where I have group to hang on the wall. I'm really glad you reminded me of this one as it helped me even though I'd heard it before.

Allie

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-21-2009 - 1:37pm

For the past 15 years I've been making CD's (well, first tapes, now CD's) of songs that inspire and motivate me. The songs have changed over the years, althought some have stayed the same, some added. I'll mention some that I can think of that have really helped me:

Looking for Space

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-21-2009 - 3:35pm

Some of my favorite quotes dealing with Hope.

"People don't wear out, they give up. As far as trials go, there's always an open trail for the mind if you keep the door open and give it a change." Louis L. Amour

"Even if we are not going to win, even if death and disaster are finally going to catch up with us, hope is worthwhile, for it enables us to draw the last drop of joy from whatever time we have left. If JOY is coming hope will have proved itself right; If disaster, hope will have strengthened us to meet it." Walt Whitman

"We will probably never understand all of life's disappointments, but each disappointment is a chance to draw closer to yourself- find your own strengths, and realize that you can make it even when the dream shatters. You begin to see that when one dream ends, you can always begin to dream again-and for as long as you can dream, you can find new places in life, set new goals, and build a new and more solid foundation, with new and better expectations of what life can offer...With each disappointment you can better find yourself, and see more clearly just how strong a person you're becoming." Sharon Davis

"Never fear the shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining close by." Ruth Renkel

"Hope is not the conviction that things will turn out well- but the certainty that it will make sense regardless of how it turns out." Vaclev Havel

HOPE

Pandora, ancient Greek Princess, was given a mysterious gift by the Gods who were jealous of her. They warned her never to open it, knowing that she probably would. Curiosity overcame her. She lifted the lid just to peek, but out came all the evils: hatred, disease, madness, despair. She closed the lid in time to capture one last gift. Later she opened the lid to release the gift that makes all life's misery bearable: HOPE.

Cynthia
You are loved, You are Special, You are WORTH IT!
Cynthia You are loved, You are Special, You are WORTH IT!
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-21-2009 - 3:54pm

Got another one for ya

THE MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN
Walter D. Wintle

If you think you are beaten, you are;
If you think you dare not, you won't.
If you like to win, but don't think you can,
It's almost a cinch you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you've lost.
For out in the world you'll find
Success begins with a fellow's will;
It's all in a state of mind.

If you think you're outlcassed, you are;
You've got to think higher to rise.
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can win a prize.

Think big and your deeds will grow.
Think small and you'll fall behind.
Think that you can, and you will.
Its's all in a state of mind.

Life's battles don't always go
to the stronger, faster woman;
But sooner or later the person who wins
is the fellow who thinks he can.

The Truth about Failure
By Robert Schuller

Failure doesn't mean you are a failure....it does mean you haven't succeeded yet.

Failure doesn't mean you have accomplished nothing...it does mean you have learned something.

Failure doesn't mean you have been a fool...it does mean you had a lot of faith

Failure doesn't mean you have been disgraced...it does mean you were willing to try.

Failure doesn't mean you don't have it...it does mean you have to do something in a different way.

Failure doesn't mean you are inferior...it does mean you are not perfect.

Failure doesn't mean you've wasted your life...it does mean you've a reason to start fresh

Failure doesn't mean you should give up....it does mean you should try harder.

Failure doesn't mean you'll never make it...it does mean it will take a little longer.

Failure doesn't mean God has abandoned you...it does mean God has a better idea!

Cynthia
You are loved, You are Special, You are WORTH IT!
Cynthia You are loved, You are Special, You are WORTH IT!