Abuse/trauma and health

iVillage Member
Abuse/trauma and health
Thu, 05-14-2009 - 7:32pm

I had a session today with my T and he told me he had been thinking of me all day. He had read an article about trauma and the immune system just the night before. In this study, they found that people who suffered a single traumatic event(car crash, fire, rape, etc) their immune systems were affected but recovered fairly well within a short period of time. Trauma that occurred with regularity did much more damage to the immune system and made the survivor much more likely to develop long term immune problems. But the worst damage was to people who's trauma was irregular, in that they never knew when of from whom the abuse might be coming. That was my situation. I was so young and there were at least 8 different abusers and I never knew when or who or what would happen. Those are the people whose immune systems were affected the worst. Uncertainty seemed to be the big factor. I know for me the adrenalin rushes I still get come at the strangest times and triggers all sorts of chemical reactions within the body. Is it any wonder I have RA and am developing other auto-immune problems like vasculitis.

So it is important that ALL of us watch our health. The stress of abuse and trauma is very real and we all deserve to have the best life we can. So eat healthy, sleep well and exercise regularly. We need to be as good to ourselves as others were bad to us. This is one time when revenge can be the best therapy!

gentle hugs................Jenny

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-19-2009 - 10:04pm
Jenny that is very interesting.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-22-2009 - 3:30am

You are SO RIGHT ON Jenny, thank you!

With safe hugs and support {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Mady Bead Good
www.mwrg7.com

,Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
,Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket