A strange turn of events

iVillage Member
A strange turn of events
Mon, 06-08-2009 - 6:21pm

Since January 27th I have been waiting to see my neurosurgeon and get an MRI of my neck. That was the day I went to the ER with what I thought was a possible stroke only to be told it was more likely a problem with my neck again(2 major cervical spine surgeries in 2 1/2 years). The CT scan was negative for new strokes although I had one 10 years ago.

It was all the stress of the pain and problems walking that started my husband and I fighting and after another fall that left me even more unable to do anything, lead to all the memories returning.

Well....last Wednesday I went to see the neurosurgeon and had the MRI. The results were so startling that I haven't been able to post much.

My neck is absolutely fine....I've been having strokes.

And not just any kind of stroke but lacunar strokes. These happen in the base of the brain in the area of the hypothalamus where long term memories are. Explains the return of the memories, doesn't it. Apparently they can also mess with the cortico-spinal tracts where the nerves to the spinal cord are making their way through the lower brain to the spinal cord. That explains the weird problems with balance and walking and weakness. It's also an area of the brain where strokes aren't usually caused by clots but by long term damage to the blood vessels in the area by high blood pressure.

Like most abuse survivors, I have a "hair trigger" flight or fight problem. Anything threatening makes my BP shoot up really badly and very fast. Almost impossible to control. And having rheumatoid arthritis on top of it makes it worse.

But I am so pissed that the 4 different docs who saw me in between Jan 27th and June 3rd didn't catch this. It took my neurosurgeon about 2 seconds to figure this one out.

So I'm looking at starting with a new therapist as my old one can't take my insurance anymore. I've been told my only hope of getting this under control is losing weight, exercising(with RA, replaced knees, pinned shoulders and a fused neck)and trying to get my BP to stop shooting up sky high at the drop of a hat(despite 3 different meds).

And I'm also looking for a new neurologist and possibly a Pdoc to help me make the massive lifestyle changes I have to make. The last neurologist greeted me at the office door with ...oh..it's you.

When I went to the ER in January the doc there spent more time asking about my mental health status than my physical health(legacy of an arm full of scars). Discrimination strikes again!

gentle hugs............JennyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-09-2009 - 11:15am
Jenny I'm glad you finally found out what is going on.

Community Leader
Tue, 06-09-2009 - 3:41pm
~hugs~
Jenny I just read your post and wanted to reach out and say you are in my heart and prayers.
I have RA to and definitely can relate.
Isn't it kinda funny they spent all that time on the "mental" issues when you wanted them to concentrate on the "physical".
My dd has scars from when she used to "cut" herself...she is always coming up against the discrimination she has had to deal with.
Actually, and sadly in the midst of all that hardly anyone but me noticed...
I am glad you have found what is going on.
<3
Nightangel
Nightangel